The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 11:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

An alert (new) Team A player should have ran into a substitute on the court!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

An "alert""smart"savvy" player should have seen that and throw the inbounds off a bench player. Poor coaching in my opinion. I would have told my players in the event of them scoring late … bring the ball inbounds on UNC bench side and find a player celebrating and run into them
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 12:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
An "alert""smart"savvy" player should have seen that and throw the inbounds off a bench player. Poor coaching in my opinion. I would have told my players in the event of them scoring late … bring the ball inbounds on UNC bench side and find a player celebrating and run into them
It should be pre-gamed.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Watching this tournament I have learned one big thing. Coaches (or players) really aren't that smart. The sheer number of coaches I see coaching and several feet on the court leads to me think that if I were a coach I would have a play where a player of mine runs right into the coach. Fall, over, make a scene, force the T.

So many times the opposing players didn't even think of doing this. There is no way the officials cannot call a T if something like that were to happen. Easy 2 points plus possession.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
If only coaches saw fit to spend some of their limited coaching minutes addressing a situation that will likely never happen.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Watching this tournament I have learned one big thing. Coaches (or players) really aren't that smart. The sheer number of coaches I see coaching and several feet on the court leads to me think that if I were a coach I would have a play where a player of mine runs right into the coach. Fall, over, make a scene, force the T.

So many times the opposing players didn't even think of doing this. There is no way the officials cannot call a T if something like that were to happen. Easy 2 points plus possession.
are you being serious?

Unless, of course, the ref decides that your player went out his way to run into the coach and Ts him up for unsporting behavior, so you lose the ball and 2 points and pick up a player & team foul . . . seems to me that the coaches are actually smart enought to be having their players focus on actually playing the game instead of being overly cute.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
are you being serious?

Unless, of course, the ref decides that your player went out his way to run into the coach and Ts him up for unsporting behavior, so you lose the ball and 2 points and pick up a player & team foul . . . seems to me that the coaches are actually smart enought to be having their players focus on actually playing the game instead of being overly cute.
The onus is on the coach to not be on the court...hard to defend a coach if he's clearly on the court.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
are you being serious?

If coaches and bench personnel are on the court, the onus is entirely on them if a players runs into them, whether it's intentional or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The onus is on the coach to not be on the court...hard to defend a coach if he's clearly on the court.
In fact, it is supposed to be an automatic T if the coach is on the court and an official runs into him.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
are you being serious?

Frankly, if the coach is on the court, it's on him to stay out of the way. If the play is designed so that the coach's position actually inhibits the offense, I'm getting the T on the coach. If the player intentionally runs into the coach, I may just pass on it, but I'm not getting the player for a T when all he's doing is running where he's allowed to run.

I there are two main reasons we don't see it.

1. The coach is paying more attention to his surroundings than we give him credit for, and he gets out of the way. In fact, most times, they aren't on the court when their team is on defense in front of them.
2. It's a bush-league move.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
are you being serious?
No comment, and you being confused makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
1. The coach is paying more attention to his surroundings than we give him credit for, and he gets out of the way. In fact, most times, they aren't on the court when their team is on defense in front of them.
2. It's a bush-league move.
I would generally agree with you, but watching the tourney I have seen teams in full court press where the team on defense was the bench in the backcourt and the coaches were easily a few feet onto the court instructing players.

It may be bush league in your opinion, in mine it's a heads up play. stay off the court coach.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ok having read the NCAA language I now agree with the officials although I don't like the language in the rule although that decision is made by people a lot smarter than I.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 11:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Ok having read the NCAA language I now agree with the officials although I don't like the language in the rule although that decision is made by people a lot smarter than I.
I doubt it since there are so many coaches on the rules committee.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
So wouldn't asking "what's the rule?" be smarter than saying "it's ridiculous" and "hopefully the site evaluator won't advance that crew?"
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

obviously since the play on choice is supported by rule I take back my comments about them not advancing.sometimes the toughest calls are the calls questioned by outsiders.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If coaches and bench personnel are on the court, the onus is entirely on them if a players runs into them, whether it's intentional or not.
But as a coach am I really going to gamble that every referee will see it that way rather than consider it a doofus move rather than call something on the player for initiating? Or just no call it on the ground that the coach wasn't actually interfering with anything since it was player initiated? Sometimes it does make sense to just play the game. . . .