The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
But as a coach am I really going to gamble that every referee will see it that way rather than consider it a doofus move rather than call something on the player for initiating?
Gamble all you want. The rules don't support your point of view.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
But as a coach am I really going to gamble that every referee will see it that way rather than consider it a doofus move rather than call something on the player for initiating? Or just no call it on the ground that the coach wasn't actually interfering with anything since it was player initiated? Sometimes it does make sense to just play the game. . . .
I think it's better to just play, but I'll tell you right now, if a player gets anywhere near a coach and the coach's presence on the floor in any way alters play, I'm calling the T. Chances are, if the coach is on the court when the ball is on that half, I'm reminding him to get back.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Gamble all you want. The rules don't support your point of view.
I haven't offered any point of view about what the rules say or how they should be applied. I'm not arguing that a referee should call something on the player or should no-call it. I'm only pointing out that spending time working on a play designed in the hope that a referee will make a call that I have never seen made is a gamble and that coaches have better things to work on in practice.

(Personally, I think the leash on coaches roaming the court has gotten way too long and wouldn't mind seeing them get whacked -- but that doesn't mean I think that getting my player to run into the coach is a good coaching strategy. And I can't recall ever seeing a coach get whacked for being on the court if he was coaching rather than ranting at the ref.)
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I did not say practice it .. but I can guarantee you that in my huddle I would mention it or hope one of my 32 assistants said something. With .6 left and the length of the floor to go what in the world else you gonna do?
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I think the leash should be LONGER at the varsity HS level. Give them the same 28 feet college coaches get, for all I care.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
But as a coach am I really going to gamble that every referee will see it that way rather than consider it a doofus move rather than call something on the player for initiating? Or just no call it on the ground that the coach wasn't actually interfering with anything since it was player initiated? Sometimes it does make sense to just play the game. . . .
If a player runs into a coach who is on the court, how can you justify ignoring it? The coach is totally in the wrong, period.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 01:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If a player runs into a coach who is on the court, how can you justify ignoring it? The coach is totally in the wrong, period.
Actually saw this in a HS game my son was playing in (2010). Home team has the ball in their frontcourt, and my sons' teammate steals ball. Son takes off down the table side sideline and teammate throws long pass for son. Son should get an easy layup out of this when suddenly Home coach steps out onto court right about the 28 foot mark. Son (looking at the pass) never even sees Coach and runs straight into coach at full speed.

Coach is about 6'4" and probably 250. Son is 5'10" and about 170. Son goes down in a heap...ball goes oob on end line. Ref blows whistle and gives ball back to home team for an end line throw in. Coach steps back and sits down. Game has to be delayed while son is helped off (he was fine, just got the wind knocked out of him).

Knowing all 3 guys working the game (not our Assoc.), I waited a few days and then called the guy...asked him WTF??? about that play and he said that there was "no rule about a coach being run into by a player". At that point I just thanked him and hung up. Our coach sent the clip into the State and that coach was "sanctioned" by the State - whatever that means.

Long story - point is that this crap can and does happen.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Uh, I haven't justified it, I've said I don't think a coach can be confident it would be called that way making it a poor strategy . . . but just for giggles and laughs . . . coach is a step into the court near the half court line yelling at his defense to play zone. The clever center sees that away and knows that if the coach is on the court it is an automatic T on the coach, so he stops posting up and sprints 40' toward the unsuspecting coach, play reaching the coach just as he is turning around to step off the court, smashing the coach back into the chair . . . T on the coach?!?!? . . .
Old Wed Mar 25, 2015, 08:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Uh, I haven't justified it, I've said I don't think a coach can be confident it would be called that way making it a poor strategy . . . but just for giggles and laughs . . . coach is a step into the court near the half court line yelling at his defense to play zone. The clever center sees that away and knows that if the coach is on the court it is an automatic T on the coach, so he stops posting up and sprints 40' toward the unsuspecting coach, play reaching the coach just as he is turning around to step off the court, smashing the coach back into the chair . . . T on the coach?!?!? . . .

I'm gonna say no. Anybody that would consider this "strategy" would probably also try the old "send our worst player to pick a fight with their best player" trick.

Lonesome Dove