The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jusnew
Cool Inconsistent referees

Why is there such a great inconsistency in how the game is called during tournament time from region to region?
I have noticed one crew will allow them to play to the point where the biggest roughest team has an advantage and then watch another game where either the whole crew or, most of the time, one ref will make small touch fouls and phantom calls when they are out of position.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 06:31pm
In Time Out

did your team lose?

But yeah it can be an issue. Sometimes you have refs new to each other working together for the first time. I know this team that plays aggressive D, they made it to their state regional final here in California. The refs called a tighter game than they were used to with their local county refs. The other team which doesn't play as aggressive as them had a much easier way. I thought the refs were fine but it did impact the game negatively for the team that wasn't used to a game being more tightly called. They didn't adjust as well.

Also, I may get criticized for this but I really think refs should know and recognize the star players. I'm not saying to favor them like the NBA does. But... there was this high profile game here, with 4 or 5 division 1 NCAA players. I thought the game was well-officiated for the most part, but I thought there were a few touch fouls that did not need to be called at all. Or give them warnings. If you had then fine, I'm ok with the foul. But if it is one of the star players, and it is a touch foul that isn't impacting play, then you know what, just pass on it. A couple of fouls that I thought could have easily been passed on were given to one of the team's best player and it hurt his team. These star players are usually top talents and they know what they are doing. if it is so minor and can be let go, then do it.

Last edited by mutantducky; Mon Mar 23, 2015 at 06:45pm.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 06:50pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Also, I may get criticized for this but I really think refs should know and recognize the star players. I'm not saying to favor them like the NBA does. But... there was this high profile game here, with 4 or 5 division 1 NCAA players. I thought the game was well-officiated for the most part, but I thought there were a few touch fouls that did not need to be called at all. Or give them warnings. If you had then fine, I'm ok with the foul. But if it is one of the star players, and it is a touch foul that isn't impacting play, then you know what, just pass on it. A couple of fouls that I thought could have easily been passed on were given to one of the team's best player and it hurt his team. These star players are usually top talents and they know what they are doing. if it is so minor and can be let go, then do it.
This is a joke, right?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnew View Post
Why is there such a great inconsistency in how the game is called during tournament time from region to region?
I have noticed one crew will allow them to play to the point where the biggest roughest team has an advantage and then watch another game where either the whole crew or, most of the time, one ref will make small touch fouls and phantom calls when they are out of position.
Ask John Adams. I hear he's great at responding to customer complaints.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ask John Adams. I hear he's great at responding to customer complaints.
"Thank you for your support of College Basketball."

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Also, I may get criticized for this but I really think refs should know and recognize the star players. .... But if it is one of the star players, and it is a touch foul that isn't impacting play, then you know what, just pass on it.
Here's a thought. Prior to the game, use a staple gun to attach cardboard stars to the foreheads of those players who should be designated as a "star" player. Then, put in a rule that a foul cannot be called against any of them unless their contact caused the other player to at least fracture a bone and/or be knocked into the bleachers.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:50pm
Official Fiveum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here's a thought. Prior to the game, use a staple gun to attach cardboard stars to the foreheads of those players who should be designated as a "star" player.
Or we could just have them get their hair cut like this.

Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, I may get criticized for this...
No, you won't. Star players need preferential treatment. Why should the same rules apply to everyone on the court? I mean we all go to watch the star players. If not for them then basketball wouldn't exist. Why don't we just give them the whistles and we just have a seat?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:12pm
In Time Out

Starbury
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The thing about star players is that they're good enough, or should be good enough, to play without committing stupid fouls.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Or we could just have them get their hair cut like this.

Stop replying to yourself.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the OP: I found it interesting that in the round of 32, UNC attempted 37 free throws while their doppelganger, Duke, shot 2. From the couch, both games seemed a bit physical. (Arkansas attempted 27 and SDSU 11 in their respective roles.)

Perhaps there is some meaningful disparity game to game, if not region to region.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 09:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
thought there were a few touch fouls that did not need to be called at all. Or give them warnings. If you had then fine, I'm ok with the foul. But if it is one of the star players, and it is a touch foul that isn't impacting play, then you know what, just pass on it. A couple of fouls that I thought could have easily been passed on were given to one of the team's best player and it hurt his team.
Uh, they do give warnings. It's called your first, second, third, and fourth fouls. If you commit five you are out of warnings and they eject you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here's a thought. Prior to the game, use a staple gun to attach cardboard stars to the foreheads of those players who should be designated as a "star" player. Then, put in a rule that a foul cannot be called against any of them unless their contact caused the other player to at least fracture a bone and/or be knocked into the bleachers.
Bad idea, remember what happened last time stars got put on people??
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 12:09am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Bad idea, remember what happened last time stars got put on people??
This?

Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 08:57am
High Five Master

warnings?

Yep, we all give them, all the time, all game long. I guess the fanboys think the refs only use their lungs to put air in the whistle. Truth is, we are constantly talking to players: hands off, straight up, don't reach, watch your feet, ease up, and a lot of other things we say to let players know what is expected of them. In addition, not calling fouls when they occur is doing a disservice to everyone. It makes things worse, not better.