The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cavs vs Heat Illegal Screen (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99526-cavs-vs-heat-illegal-screen-video.html)

APG Tue Mar 17, 2015 09:11pm

Cavs vs Heat Illegal Screen (Video)

Was asked to post this play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l_b2c6Sjdbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mutantducky Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59pm

good call. that's kind of a cheap shot. I'd consider that an intentional foul in HS.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:12pm

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it certainly is an illegal screen.

The key here is how the T trusted his partners to take what was coming toward them so he could catch this sneaky pick where the sneaky picker probably figured no one was watching. Excellent get. I had to watch it twice before I even saw it. That's why I'm keeping my day job.

MechanicGuy Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26pm

Pretty dirty play. Might start a fight in a pick-up game doing things like that lol

APG Wed Mar 18, 2015 03:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 957999)
good call. that's kind of a cheap shot. I'd consider that an intentional foul in HS.

Do not call this an intentional foul

bob jenkins Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 958002)
The key here is how the T trusted his partners to take what was coming toward them so

I agree that this is the take-away here.

Blindolbat Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:58am

Also, plays like that are usually the result of something earlier in the game that might have happened between those two players. Just speculating but ref did a good job of perhaps noticing and staying with those two players. Clearly the screen was not a necessary play to free up a player. Definitely not intentional at any level.

mutantducky Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27pm

I would absolutely consider this an intentional foul. It is a dirty play as mentioned. He leads his shoulder in. It is a non-basketball play and a dangerous one.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2015 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 958057)
I would absolutely consider this an intentional foul. It is a dirty play as mentioned. He leads his shoulder in. It is a non-basketball play and a dangerous one.

He made contact with a leading shoulder? Video I saw he was bracing for contact while moving into the defender. In fact, all the contact occurred in the middle of the screener's back.

You should be calling a lot of intentional fouls on illegal screens in your own games. How many did you call this season on similar plays?

SamIAm Wed Mar 18, 2015 01:24pm

A bit of help please. At what point in this clip does the offensive player's action become illegal. The worst action I see is A2 stopping.

mutantducky Wed Mar 18, 2015 01:52pm

listen maybe Jones just had a brain lapse or something. But I see his actions as being completely unnatural for the situation. It is a fast-break. He stops and moves over to the side. He sees the Heat players coming up. He puts himself in a place to make contact. He's not attempting to do a screen. He's either wondering around aimlessnessly or trying to hit Chalmers. Players don't just stop on a fast break like that and move backwards. It made no sense. I'm not saying I would call it an intentional foul but I would consider it, if I felt like the defender had been targeted.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2015 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 958066)
A bit of help please. At what point in this clip does the offensive player's action become illegal. The worst action I see is A2 stopping.

I have the screener drifting into the defender's path. But I agree, it's not a cut-n-dry obvious foul. Makes me wonder if maybe a similar play happened earlier and Ben was determined not to miss it if it happened again.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 18, 2015 02:37pm

Quote:

IF that's true (and I didn't go back to watch), did he give the moving offensive player time to stop / go around the screen? (up to two steps in NCAA -- don't know about NBA)

Camron Rust Wed Mar 18, 2015 03:40pm

Quote:

If A2 were moving the same path and direction as the opponent (opponent following), then A2 can't be guilty of a foul. However, if A2's path was anything else, then A2 would have to get into the path and stop while giving enough time and distance for the opponent to avoid contact.

That said, I don't think A2 just stopped. I think that A2, after stopping, leaned his shoulder into the opponent as the opponent was passing by...creating the foul.

crosscountry55 Wed Mar 18, 2015 08:45pm

I'll bet Ben was 100% confident in his call.

He might want his signaling mechanic back, however. It wasn't the sexiest I've seen all year. :D