The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
Am I the only one that sees the screen in #5 as illegal for not respecting the time and distance principle?
The time and distance required are relative to the speed of the opponent. The opponent was just starting to move (had no speed to be considered). As a result, the time/distance required is very small and I think plenty time/distance was given for the situation. The defender had been heading away from the screen and had just stopped and reversed direction into the screen.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The time and distance required are relative to the speed of the opponent. The opponent was just starting to move (had no speed to be considered). As a result, the time/distance required is very small and I think plenty time/distance was given for the situation. The defender had been heading away from the screen and had just stopped and reversed direction into the screen.
What about NFHS 4-40-4? "When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact."

The opponent in the video was not allowed one normal step on the blind screen. Therefore, I think the call was correct.

(NCAA guys...clarify if the NCAA rule is same or different?)
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
What about NFHS 4-40-4? "When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact."

The opponent in the video was not allowed one normal step on the blind screen. Therefore, I think the call was correct.

(NCAA guys...clarify if the NCAA rule is same or different?)
It wasn't a blind screen from behind. This was a screen from the side. The fact that the defender didn't look to his side to see it coming is his fault (or his teammates), not the fault of the screener.

Outside the visual field is referring to what the player should be able to see with normal head movement, not what they actually do see. They don't get a pass for not looking where they are going.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I had the wrong time mark on the 3rd play lol. Apologies.