The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Jadeveon Clowney at South Point High School tremendous physical speciman and decent basketball player.

Raymond Felton Latta High School

Kevin Garnett at Mauldin High School.

Skip Wise. Quickest hands.

Khalil Greene Clemson tremendous bat speed.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Adam Woodbury playing basketball for Iowa. First time was as a Freshman and my thought was (good gosh is he tall). Listed as 7ft 1 now.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I reffed David Lucas for many years in our local kids rec league. He's Maurice Lucas' son and was all Pac-10 twice at Oregon State. He's now the very successful owner of a basketball camp.

Also, although they weren't future players but former players, I once reffed a "charity" game between the Portland Trailblazer "Alumni Team" and a bunch of P.E. teachers from my local HS to raise money for the sports programs at the HS. The Blazers provided a team of former players to play games to raise funds for charities and non-profits. So, that afternoon in the HS gym, I officiated Bob Gross, Larry Steele, Kevin Kunnert and Kenny Carr, among some others I don't remember. It was a blast. I already knew Kunnert because he coached his daughters in our local kids rec program. He gave me a hard time just for the fun of it and we both laughed.

Oh yeah - I worked the game by myself! And yes, I donated my time.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 01:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Has anyone officiated games with future NBA or NCAA stars? Did you know they were great at the time?
Steve Nash.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 05:24pm
In Time Out

Leon Powe
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Boys
Brad Beal
Tyler Hansbrough
Otto Porter

Girls
Napheesa Collier-Senior this year at Incarnate Word in STL. UCONN next year.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

This is a fun thread.

I haven't reffed for anyone famous, but I was at a youth tournament last weekend featuring a 6'8 8th grader named Nobal Days out of the Kenosha/Racine, Wisconsin area. I'm sure he's already gotten dozens of college recruiting letters, if not scholarship offers.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:58am
We don't rent pigs

Lacedarius Dunn. He went on to Baylor and became the all
time leading scorer in the Big 12. Plays in Europe now, I think.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

During the course of my career, and thanks to some friends, I have had some great opportunities to referee at least 3 of the best 100 NBA players ever while they were in the league or starting in the league and A couple of WNBA stars.

Now With our summer pro league and a couple of national tournaments... a whole bunch of other future or current/former NBA, European, South American, or d-1 players...
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 10:43am
Administrator

When my wife and I lived in Glendale, California (1982-84) I did not have the chance to officiate and UCLA and USC women's games but I did officiate a USC scrimmage both years when Cheryl Miller was playing for USC then.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Otis Smith during a summer semi-pro league in Orlando in the mid 90's.

I joined the local HS association in Daytona one year after Vince Carter left for UNC. LaDarius Halton (UF) followed him at a rival school and was as good a HS player as I've seen.

Last edited by griblets; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 11:23am.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

About 15 years ago, Portland had a WNBA team, the "Fire". They would hold practices at a gym on the west side that had about 10 basketball floors, only two of which were near full size. One day, a buddy and I were working a men's rec game there while the Fire was having a practice. Right after our game ended, the Fire coach came over to us and asked us if we could wait around and work a scrimmage they were going to have against a bunch of guy gym rats. They said the scrimmage was going to last 20 minutes with a short halftime and they would pay us each $40 in cash. We both said we would.

We tried to let a lot of contact go but made sure we called anything obvious and/or hard. Within a few minutes, it became apparent the gals were not anywhere able to play well against the guys due to the difference in size, speed and strength. I think the final score was something like 44-8. It just got to me that a "major league professional team" couldn't play well against a "pickup" team, even if there was a gender difference. It really put the WNBA into perspective for me.

The Fire coach came over and thanked us and paid us our money. We told her we'd be glad to do it any time.

BTW - for you Portland area guys, my partner that night was the late, great Jeff Strothers.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Kirk Hinrick - his dad was coaching and got a T
Cole Aldrich before his HS senior year at a camp
But my all time highlight - accessing a Technical Foul to US Senator John Thune (while he was a Senator and a decent player in a tournament).
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Earl Boykins (Cleveland Central Catholic) a scintillating player. So quick and unbelievable ball-handling skills. Kosta Koufos (Canton Glen Oak) Ran the floor so well for a big man. Would block lay up attempts but instead of slapping the ball out of bounds, would just tap it, get it before it landed, outlet pass then run the floor and eventually get a return pass for a dunk. Never had LeBron; but he was in a tournament game right before my game. We kidded the officials when they came in after their game that they had the JV's, we had the Varsity game.
Also had Clark Kellogg's two sons when they played at Columbus DeSales in a state tournament game. MTD, you might have been at a regional game I worked at BGSU involving DeSales back in 2009. Seems I remember an official and his son stopping by the locker room to chat with us after the game. Possible?

Last edited by billyu2; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 01:03pm.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Michael Gbinije of Syracuse formerly of Duke. He was on the varsity as a freshman, and they blew out some other small local parochial school by 60.