The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Disrupted By Fan

This situation happened this week. Girls varsity game. Visitor is shooting the first of 2 FTs. Home fan (happens to be a varsity boys player) runs to the baseline under the hoop and starts waving his arms. Before anything can be done by our crew the girl shoots and missed badly.

We gave her a replacement shot. Explained things to home coach without objection. Game management took care of the fan.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's how I would have done it, assuming I didn't get the whistle blown earlier.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedYooper View Post
This situation happened this week. Girls varsity game. Visitor is shooting the first of 2 FTs. Home fan (happens to be a varsity boys player) runs to the baseline under the hoop and starts waving his arms. Before anything can be done by our crew the girl shoots and missed badly.

We gave her a replacement shot. Explained things to home coach without objection. Game management took care of the fan.

Thoughts?
There is no rule allowing you to give a replacement free throw for this.
You should have penalized the home team with a technical foul for failure to control its spectators and allowing one of them to interfere with the game.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 08:34am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You should have penalized the home team with a technical foul for failure to control its spectators and allowing one of them to interfere with the game.

NevadaRef:

I agree with you. While we would all agree that the very, very, very, very last thing that an official would ever want to do to charge a team's fans with a TF, the OP is one of the rare times when an official has no choice to bite the bullet and do so.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

In hind sight I agree with all the comments. I am happy with the way it was handled but I also understand the technical foul that could have been issued. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

This is a rare case to use 2-3 IMO...readminister the first FT.

I would recommend to not issue a technical foul. Nevada is of the mind that issuing technical fouls to the home team for spectator behavior should be used more liberally than 96.532 percent of other officialsbelieve. In Nevada's world, anyone could appear as a fan for an opponent...and do the same thing to distract...get a missed Ft...and then 2 additional FT's for his real team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 04:03pm
Stubborn Member

While there is no rule to support the replacement FT, I believe my assignors would rather that was how this were handled rather than giving the home team a TF.

I don't mean to say my personal feelings trump the rules, but it doesn't seem right to punish the home team like that. It's not the teams responsibility to control the crowd, so why should they be punished like that?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 06:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Especially If They're Wearing Groucho Marx Glasses ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
... anyone could appear as a fan for an opponent...and do the same thing to distract...get a missed Ft...and then 2 additional FT's for his real team.
Agree. They can be anybody.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a rare case to use 2-3 IMO...readminister the first FT.
One cannot invoke 2-3 when there is already rules coverage provided to handle the situation.

Quote:
I would recommend to not issue a technical foul. Nevada is of the mind that issuing technical fouls to the home team for spectator behavior should be used more liberally than 96.532 percent of other officialsbelieve. In Nevada's world, anyone could appear as a fan for an opponent...and do the same thing to distract...get a missed Ft...and then 2 additional FT's for his real team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. They can be anybody.
That is why you work with game management to determine the identity of the individual before having the person removed or issuing any penalty.
Notice that the OP stated that this was a member of the boys varsity team from the home school.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Compromise ???

Quote:
Notice that the OP stated that this was a member of the boys varsity team from the home school.
Good point. In this case the distracting fan was very easy to identify, other times, it may be more difficult, or even impossible.

Quote:
How about Fundamental #16: The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead).

The officials couldn't sound their whistles in time to stop the try, so, in reality, the player may have shot a dead ball. Try again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 26, 2015 at 06:39pm.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How about Fundamental #16: The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead).

The officials couldn't sound their whistles in time to stop the try, so, in reality, the player may have shot a dead ball. Try again.
Sorry, but this doesn't mean we can just declare the ball has been dead because it's more convenient. There is a list of things that make the ball dead, and none of them involve a fan.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sorry, but this doesn't mean we can just declare the ball has been dead because it's more convenient. There is a list of things that make the ball dead, and none of them involve a fan.
A fan committing an act which results in a team technical foul would make the ball dead, barring a try being in flight. Of course, the official would have to be stopping play to charge the technical foul!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:01pm
We don't rent pigs

My first question would be how certain are we the miss was because of the fan? If it was too late to stop it.....

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Part Of The Game ???

We see fans (granted, mostly in higher levels, college, NBA; but some in high school) trying to distract free throw shooters all the time, without any repercussions. What makes this situation so special? Because the offender was a member of the opponent's other gender team?

Technical foul is a nuclear option. Rules really don't allow us to give a replacement free throw. We're stuck.

2-3, although not technically relevant, seems the most appropriate way to approach this matter.

Maybe it's one of those "sometimes we just have to officiate" situations.

Maybe we just ask the site director to keep fans away from the endline during free throws, and move on.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 07:33am.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We see fans (granted, mostly in higher levels, college, NBA; but some in high school) trying to distract free throw shooters all the time, without any repercussions. What makes this situation so special? Because the offender was a member of the opponent's other gender team?
My guess is that the fan was on the floor rather than in the stands. I think that's a significant difference.