The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Shoe advice

I know we have discussed shoes here before but I am looking at a few models that I don't think have been mentioned. Anyone have experiences, preferences, insights on the following shoes compared to the Reebok Zig or Nike Air Monarch ?

New Balance 623 or similar model
3n2 Reaction Referee
Inov8 f-lite 230

I am a little familiar with the New Balance shoe and am leaning towards the Reebok Zigs based on what others have said about them.

The 3n2 shoes look good but seem cheap to me so am interested in what others have to say about them.

The inov8 shoes are for running but may work for reffing so if anyone has heard of or worn these I am curious as to comfort and support.

Your opinions, reviews, and comments are appreciated!
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have both the NB 623s and Reebok Zigs. To me, the biggest difference is that the Zigs are appreciably lighter than the NBs. Although I have a wide foot, I found no difference in how the two fit across the balls of my feet, but I did need half-size larger Zigs.

I've worn the NBs for two seasons and the Zigs for one, so I can't comment about their respective durability.

I don't know anything about the other two shoes.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 07:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They Run Small ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I did need half-size larger Zigs.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 06:50am.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

My advice is to simply go with the Zigs. In 17 years of officiating they are clearly the most comfortable shoes that I've worn.
I was also informed that they run small and so ordered a 1/2 size bigger. That turned out to be a mistake. The larger shoes felt splashy and I ended up ordering another pair in my normal size, which have been perfect.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I love my zigs

I have worn only a couple of others but by far my favorite are the zigs.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

I can't fit in the zigs (even a 1/2 size larger), so I wear the NB. I alos have some model or another of Nike.

I alternate pairs every game, replce the insoles after one year, and replace the shoes after two years.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

I wear nothing but NB simply because they fit my feet the best in my experience. I've worn the NB 610, NB 888, and now the NB 623. It's simply find what is comfortably to you and stick with it.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, I'm Cheap ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I was also informed that they run small and so ordered a 1/2 size bigger. That turned out to be a mistake. The larger shoes felt splashy and I ended up ordering another pair in my normal size, which have been perfect.
Don't toss the bigger shoes, just wear an extra pair of socks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

They Don't Make 'Em Like That Anymore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... replace the insoles after one year, and replace the shoes after two years.
Back when I started, thirty-four years ago, I had a couple of pairs of Spot-Bilts that were so good that I actually had then resoled a few times before dumping them. They were a little on the heavy side, but were the best officiating shoes that I ever had; comfortable, good support, good grip, and took a good shine.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

My Spot-Bilts were comfortable, as was a pair of Converse, if I recall correctly. Although it was a long time ago and my memory has faded, I don't think either was as supportive as modern shoes.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

By the way, Rich, I don't know anyone who wears the 3n2 basketball shoe, but the baseball plate shoe is lightweight and comfortable. fwiw.

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Feb 28, 2015 at 08:31pm.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I got the Zigs, and I'm never going to wear anything else. It took a few games to break them in, but I love 'em.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

623 +1

I've worn a pair of 623 patent for a couple seasons and they are absolutely comfy on my feet. Didn't wear the 623 leather though. Heard a bunch of goods on Zigs but didn't wear that yet either.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:21pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Disclaimer: i have flat feet

I had one pair of zigs that were good but the second pair I had hurt my feet due to their arches. I have New Balance before and just picked up a new pair of New Balance and too my feet they are like heaven. I will never mail order shoes again as I have a brand new pair of zigs that I hate. I am stuck with them bc I cut the insoles up at halftime to make it through the night. I did have to order the zigs 1/2 size bigger as well. I had to go with 10 1/2 vs my normal 10.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Just got these Reebok Zjet's last weekend and used them last night. On sale for $79.99 at Finish Line right now.

Closed Thread