The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Of course he would, God forbid somebody does something to upset you.
Being truthful with my partners, the coaches, and players is of paramount importance to me. I can always forgive honest mistakes, but another official being dishonest or untruthful is definitely going to upset me. Our integrity forms the core of our job description as game officials.

By your post are you saying that you feel differently?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem in this play was that your Trail told you "no" when he actually wasn't aware of whether or not the ball went in. Had he simply been honest and said, "I don't know" or "I didn't see it" you would have gone through the process of asking these other people BEFORE awarding any FTs and obtained the correct answer before continuing the game. That would have prevented the need to use the AP arrow in the situation in your game. I would be very upset with the Trail and he would hear about it following the game.
Agreed. If you didn't see it, say that. He put the calling official in a tough spot when it wasn't necessary.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 12:06pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Agreed. He got caught ball watching as the play transitioned from his area to mine. He acknowledged it at half time.

The H coach wasn't happy that we went to the AP arrow but it was the right procedure since an officials error meant no one rebounded.
Every time a coach points out a mistake I made, I want to ask them about the mistakes they've made as a coach.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:30pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Being truthful with my partners, the coaches, and players is of paramount importance to me. I can always forgive honest mistakes, but another official being dishonest or untruthful is definitely going to upset me. Our integrity forms the core of our job description as game officials.

By your post are you saying that you feel differently?

No. My post is implying that I can only imagine the ensuing lecture another official would receive because you were upset, rather than a discussion about what happened and how it might have been handled differently.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Please tell all of us how you handle one official lying about something to his partner differently.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:40pm
AremRed

Quote:
Please tell all of us how you handle one official lying about something to his partner differently.
Are you sure his telling you the ball went in was "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you sure his telling you the ball went in was "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive"?
It has been made clear by the OP that it was definitely a false statement. The deception comes from telling his parter information as if it were a fact when he didn't even see it. That is unacceptable.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not classify my partners actions as a lie. He saw the ball bounce away at a weird angle and assumed it had bounced off the rim without going in, which he thought was verified by the other ref since he did not question it (he administered the free throws). It was an error and we fixed it. That's all.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:14am
beware big brother

Quote:

Lying is such an egregious crime, I would just skip the lecture, blast the guy with a taser, and then finish the game with 2 officials.