The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

KU - WV offensive foul (video)

Thoughts on this play?

The title says something about fooling the referee, but really isn't this defender just making the referee make a call? If a low defender has clear position and the offensive player displaces him backward and he just gives ground we aren't going to call it, but if he allows that displacement to knock him over then he at least has a chance of drawing the PC. No lower angle so the amount of contact on this play is hard to judge.

In this particular play I find it interesting where the call comes from.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The trail was behind in his quota at the time. Any howler monkey will tell you that.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:05pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
That was the first thing I thought of.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work basketball, just follow the conversations here to make me a more knowledgeable fan. So I really don't know how this should be covered...

But it looks like C&L happened to get perfect position to be straight lined, couldn't use a ruler to draw a line straighter from L through the players to C.

Should one of them be moving to get a better angle on this matchup.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:22pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
I don't work basketball, just follow the conversations here to make me a more knowledgeable fan. So I really don't know how this should be covered...

But it looks like C&L happened to get perfect position to be straight lined, couldn't use a ruler to draw a line straighter from L through the players to C.

Should one of them be moving to get a better angle on this matchup.
C was looking right at the play, and was not straight-lined. And the L has a match-up in his area right in front of him.T may not have had much going on in his area, but I still wonder why he was looking at the far post. Perhaps looking out for traveling, but I think the C should have made the foul/no-foul call here.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Watch the C's body language as the call is made. I think he might feel the same as you, haha.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

looks like a flop.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

The angle that I had on this play (the couch in my living room!) leads me to believe that the offensive player did not go THRU the defenders' body/space, merely stopped when contact was made and made his spin move.

I would not have called this a PC foul. Definitely NOT from Trail if I were working this game.

I'm guessing the Big12 observer in attendance probably noted this call in his game report w/ the comments like: "out of area call. trust your partners. only get hi-certainty non-basketball plays when reaching".
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thoughts on this play?

The title says something about fooling the referee, but really isn't this defender just making the referee make a call? If a low defender has clear position and the offensive player displaces him backward and he just gives ground we aren't going to call it, but if he allows that displacement to knock him over then he at least has a chance of drawing the PC. No lower angle so the amount of contact on this play is hard to judge.
Your terms are contradictory. If the defender is giving ground, then there was no displacement. If there is displacement, there should be a foul.

If more officials would call such offensive fouls (displacement) appropriately, perhaps defenders wouldn't feel like they have to fall down to get the call.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 18, 2015 at 10:40pm.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 09:44pm
In Time Out

indeed. methink the center did not have a foul there. There was contact but not enough to make him fall like that.
Vlade would be proud!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 02:11am
Administrator

Quote:
Thoughts on this play?

I am a life long Jay Hawk and I would call that charge.

I think the C should have been able to make this call. It appears that he had a good angle to get it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Feb 19, 2015 at 02:13am. Reason: Added a second sentence.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Your terms are contradictory. If the defender is giving ground, then there was no displacement. If there is displacement, there should be a foul.
You know what I'm talking about; the defender isn't really "giving ground" the larger offensive player is taking it, and just backing him down. Most defenders are taught to wall up and try and hold their ground, but if the offensive player is larger they can't and end up getting backed down just because they are smaller. So they get displaced 6 inches at a time. I think most would agree that is not called a PC at most levels. Maybe it should be? In this play, the defender establishes position and refuses to move backward, and he sells it a bit. But I'm ok with that.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty identical play in an NBA game...with a T thrown on top

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am a life long Jay Hawk and I would call that charge.

I think the C should have been able to make this call. It appears that he had a good angle to get it.

MTD, Sr.
Lifetime "Jay Hawk" or "Jayhawk"?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You know what I'm talking about; the defender isn't really "giving ground" the larger offensive player is taking it, and just backing him down. Most defenders are taught to wall up and try and hold their ground, but if the offensive player is larger they can't and end up getting backed down just because they are smaller. So they get displaced 6 inches at a time. I think most would agree that is not called a PC at most levels. Maybe it should be? In this play, the defender establishes position and refuses to move backward, and he sells it a bit. But I'm ok with that.
Should be, but a way to increase the odds is not to move your feet. Make the dribbler knock you to the floor.