Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 03:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Obstinate Player

This play would not apply to a HS game.

NCAA-M rule set.

A1 gets fouled by B1 in the act of shooting and comes down hard and needs to be replaced. Thus Coach B now picks the shooter from the 4 remaining A players on the court. Coach B chooses A4, who at the time is in heated discussion with the coach. When play is ready to resume with A4's free throws, A4 is seated on the bench and refuses to reenter the court.

At this point, I would have a Class B technical foul for A4 under 10-4-2h, delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live... (Please comment on this aspect)

Now, since A4 will not enter the game, how do we proceed with the free throws? Does Coach B now pick from the other 3 that were still on the court, or does the T make that moot, and now A4's sub shoots the free throws (or any other suggestions you would have for this play).

I asked b/c we almost had this situation my JuCo game last weekend.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 12, 2015 at 04:05pm.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Was there a time out or did A4 leave the court when he shouldn't have?

(If after a TO, wouldn't resumption of play procedures apply, and you could simply set the ball down on the FT line and start counting?)
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 04:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Dead ball period as A1 was being tended to for his injury. I had called the foul and was consulting with the table and Coach B to get the shooter for the subsequent free throws.

I saw A4 on the bench when we were ready to go live, but I thought he was there because Team A didn't know he had been selected to shoot. I found out after the fact that he was on the bench because at first he refused to stay in the game.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

When A1 was deemed to be injured and coach B selects A4 from the remaining 4 players to be the shooter, A4 becomes the shooter. A4 can't refuse to shoot the FTs at that point any more than any other shooter who isn't injured or disqualified.

Apply Rule 4-17-1d & 10-2-5b (NCAA-M)
Quote:
4-17-1d
Repeatedly delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put into play, such as delaying the administration of a throw-in or free throw by engaging in a team huddle anywhere on the playing court (See Rule 10-2.5.b);

10-5-5b:
After a team warning has been issued, repeatedly delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put in play, such as delaying the administration of a throw-in or free throw by engaging in a team huddle anyplace on the playing court.

I suppose you could also put the ball at the disposal of the shooter and call a 10 second violation on it but I don't think you can even resume the game with 4 players on the court and you're not going to bring a sub in for the shooter.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 11, 2015 at 06:02pm.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think you call A4 actions unsporting and give him a class A. We are not limited to the examples listed in the class A rule. It says "including but not limited to..."
A4 refusing to play is unsporting. Let them sub and let team B pick again.

other option is to say rule says team B gets to choose shooter. A4 was on the floor at time of injury and was chosen the shooter. He shoots or nobody shoots. violation. If he wont come in to shoot tell him to give you a sub and then give B the ball. A4 isnt injured but he refuses to play so let them sub. they just lose the free throws.

I think we need to follow the technical option because A4 needs to be penalized for this.