The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Slapping the backboard ruling

This play was posted in our area recently: Player A releases the ball on a layup attempt. Player B makes a legal attempt to block the shot but contacts the backboard causing the board and rim to shake altering the flight of the ball. Goaltending, basket interference or technical foul? Local Association A answered no GT or BI but since the flight of the ball was altered it would be a technical citing the second part of rule 10-3-4b. Local Association B answered no GT, BI or T since it was a legit attempt to block and there is no rule that requires us to determine if the ball flight was altered. This play then happened in a game last night and the officials ruled BI because the flight of the ball was altered when the ball touched the shaking backboard. Your thoughts?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
This play was posted in our area recently: Player A releases the ball on a layup attempt. Player B makes a legal attempt to block the shot but contacts the backboard causing the board and rim to shake altering the flight of the ball. Goaltending, basket interference or technical foul? Local Association A answered no GT or BI but since the flight of the ball was altered it would be a technical citing the second part of rule 10-3-4b. Local Association B answered no GT, BI or T since it was a legit attempt to block and there is no rule that requires us to determine if the ball flight was altered. This play then happened in a game last night and the officials ruled BI because the flight of the ball was altered when the ball touched the shaking backboard. Your thoughts?
Depends on which ruleset you're using. Under NFHS, if it's a legitimate attempt to block the shot, then no call.

In NCAA, it is BI, I believe. I could be wrong, but I know it's something. There's a thread from a few weeks ago discussing this very topic, I just can't remember what the exact NCAA call was, but I know it was something.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

No call. Contacting the backboard is never GT or BI under NFHS rules. It is only a technical foul if done intentionally to cause the board to vibrate or as a means of venting frustration. There is no violation for contacting the board while making a legitimate attempt to block a shot.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 07:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
In NCAA, it is BI, I believe. I could be wrong, but I know it's something. There's a thread from a few weeks ago discussing this very topic, I just can't remember what the exact NCAA call was, but I know it was something.
You are not exactly correct. It is only BI in NCAA if the backboard is vibrated while the ball is in the cylinder or on the basket.

Rule 9-17-2A (5)

Peace
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are not exactly correct. It is only BI in NCAA if the backboard is vibrated while the ball is in the cylinder or on the basket.

Rule 9-17-2A (5)

Peace
+1. The problem is that some varsity officials either A) watch a lot of TV and/or B) also work college basketball. So if you see this called BI in HS, this may be why. Personally I think NFHS should adopt the NCAA rule, which is a new rule this year, but because most HS backboards are sturdier (because they are not portable), I'll bet it doesn't happen.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 08:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
+1. The problem is that some varsity officials either A) watch a lot of TV and/or B) also work college basketball. So if you see this called BI in HS, this may be why. Personally I think NFHS should adopt the NCAA rule, which is a new rule this year, but because most HS backboards are sturdier (because they are not portable), I'll bet it doesn't happen.
The rule is only a couple of years old. Many thought the rule applied long before the NCAA rule was changed to what it is now. I think the NBA has a similar rule, but I am not sure.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Rule 9-17-2A (5)

Peace
As written: "Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder"
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
As written: "Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder"
Embarrassingly, this a rule change I missed until this season.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 01:43pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Embarrassingly, this a rule change I missed until this season.
What do you mean? This is the first season for this rule.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Oh, good, I thought I had totally missed the boat on this one when a locker room discussion came up earlier this season.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Rule went into effect for the 2013-2014 season...so this is the second year it's been in effect.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 03:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Rule went into effect for the 2013-2014 season...so this is the second year it's been in effect.
In that case BNR did miss it until this season...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Local Association B on this one.