The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Slapping The Backboard

Our association is having a discussion about this topic. We know that slapping the backboard is a technical but can you call goaltending or basket interference also. We had a play where A1 shot and the ball hit the rim bounced up as B1 intentionally slapped the backboard so hard it vibrated while the ball was just above the rim. Our question is can you call basket inference also and give A1 the two points. My thinking is you cannot. You just asses the technical and that is it. Any thoughts. Thanks
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to hear some input on this as well. This is always a hot topic amongst our officials. When is the "slap" just going for the blocked shot, and when is it actually a T? A lot of our guys refuse to call a T if the player is going for a blocked shot attempt as long as the slapping does not shake the backboard. What is the correct ruling on this situation. I have heard much confusion on this topic.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Correct ruling is that if the slap is intentional and not an attempt to block a shot, it is a T. If it is an attempt to block a shot, it is not a T.
Whether the rim shakes is irrelevant.
It is never BI, because the backboard is not part of the basket for this purpose.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

How many times does this need to be answered? The criteria for GT or BI are clearly listed in rule 4. Slapping the backboard does not meet any of those criteria.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry7
You just asses the technical and that is it. Any thoughts. Thanks

I'll leave this one up there for the crew. Is this some new sort of T? What is the mechanic? Is it in the book?

Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 01:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I can't believe how often this comes up. You want the answer? Then read the definitions of BI and GT!!!! I apologize for the tone of this, Kerry, because it's not directed at you personally. I am just amazed at how many officials don't know this. It's not even a difficult interpretation, it's just a matter of reading the definitions.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 01:30pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry7
Our association is having a discussion about this topic. -- Our question is can you call basket inference also and give A1 the two points. My thinking is you cannot.
Your thinking is correct. The answer is no. Ask those who think otherwise to stand up and slowly read the two pertinent definitions in Rule 4 and the pertinent section in Rule 10 at your next association meeting, if they feel strongly enough about their case.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
I'll leave this one up there for the crew. Is this some new sort of T? What is the mechanic? Is it in the book?

Its called pulling one out of your butt.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I'd like to see the rule changed. I've seen instances where the person slapping the backboard clearly rattled the backboard enough to affect the shot, but nothing was called. I suspect some officials are reluctant to call a technical because the impact of the foul is greater than a simple violation.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:08pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I can't believe how often this comes up. You want the answer? Then read the definitions of BI and GT!!!! I apologize for the tone of this, Kerry, because it's not directed at you personally. I am just amazed at how many officials don't know this. It's not even a difficult interpretation, it's just a matter of reading the definitions.
I will cut right to the chase and tell you why it comes up so often.

Think spineless. I would bet a game check that many officials still call this BI because they don't know the rule and/or are two spineless to give the T. It is a judgement call: if the official feels like it was not a legitimate attempt to block the shot it is a technical foul. If the backboard shakes and the ball does not go through the hoop, too bad so sad. The team will have two free throws and another attempt to make the shot.

Scrappy, I know you know this, but other people keep asking and it is high time we called it like it is.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboys
Personally, I'd like to see the rule changed. I've seen instances where the person slapping the backboard clearly rattled the backboard enough to affect the shot, but nothing was called. I suspect some officials are reluctant to call a technical because the impact of the foul is greater than a simple violation.
Why do you think the rule should be changed? Please expand and say what your reasoning would be for changing the rule. However, I would humbly request that if an example of a spineless official is any part of your reasoning, save it.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Change 2000-01

Let's go to the Rule Books:

1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 59, Technical Fouls: A player shall not slap or strike either backboard to cause either ring to vibrate while the ball is in flight during a tap or try or is touching the backboard or is on or in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

2000-01 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Comments on the 2000-01 Rule Revisions: Clarified illegal contact with the backboard by stating that a player shall not INTENTIONALLY slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate. The previous rule was difficult to understand and consequently was being called incorrectly or inconsistently.

Previous to 2000-01, if the basket vibrated after the backboard was slapped, even if the slap was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could have been called. Beginning with the 2000-01 season, if the vibration of the basket occured after the backboard was slapped during a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could not be charged. In any case this situation has never been associated with basket interference, and the basket could never be awarded for contact with the backboard.

This rule clarification in 2000-01 is what has led to the myth that a vibrating backboard and/or basket is always a technical foul. Where the myth started that this is a form of basketball interference and that the basket could or should be awarded is anybody's guess
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Previous to 2000-01, if the basket vibrated after the backboard was slapped, even if the slap was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could have been called.
I still disagree with that statement. Iirc, we had a case play throughout the 90's stating that there was no "T" for a legitimate block attempt if the backboard was rattled. That's why the rule was clarified in the 2000-01 rule book, and was not listed as a new rule or rule change.

I can remember going over that exact interpretation at camps/clinics during that time period.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Where the myth started that this is a form of basketball interference and that the basket could or should be awarded is anybody's guess
No need to guess, it's the NBA rule.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
No need to guess, it's the NBA rule.
Scrappy (or anybody else who's been around for a while), how's your memory? Was the "whacking the board" rule basically the same before the 2000-01 season, or am I losing it? Iow, was it OK as long as the defender tried to make a legitimate block?