The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Versus NFHS ...

From January/February 2015 IAABO Sportorial Magazine:

Violation if a player legally enters the free throw lane and then breaks the outside edge of the free throw line, with a foot/feet, prior to the ball contacting the backboard or basket ring. Display the delay lane violation signal, pending successful or unsuccessful free throw.

IAABO, through IAABO Coordinator of Interpreters, Peter Webb, continues to take this stance. Why haven't we heard from the NFHS? Since when does IAABO make rules?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 07, 2015 at 11:58am.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 02:03pm
This IS My Social Life

Just now...

Illinois player in upper block just drilled an MSU free throw shooter on the first of a one-and-one and they're reviewing it now...game could ride on this call. OK, maybe "drilled" is too heavy a term. He fouled the shooter, though.
Our crew has had two fouls this year on that person in the upper block displacing the shooter backwards. Called early each game it happened, and that cured it for the rest of each game.
I've only seen the abuse of this when a foul has occurred. I'm not so concerned that this be made a violation.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Feb 07, 2015 at 02:06pm.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From January/February 2015 IAABO Sportorial Magazine:

Violation if a player legally enters the free throw lane and then breaks the outside edge of the free throw line, with a foot/feet, prior to the ball contacting the backboard or basket ring. Display the delay lane violation signal, pending successful or unsuccessful free throw.

IAABO, through IAABO Coordinator of Interpreters, Peter Webb, continues to take this stance. Why haven't we heard from the NFHS? Since when does IAABO make rules?

Perhaps I'm missing something. How can it be a violation if the player does something legally?

As for IAABO- they do what they want because suckers like us continue to flip them 35 USD every year ( either voluntarily, or forced in my case) and get little to no benefit out of it.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

This seems to be some old-timer who is clinging to how the rule was back in the day and pushing hard to make it that way again.
His current position on the NFHS rules committee will likely afford him the ability to succeed in this quest.
I predict this will be either a rule change or an editorial change by the NFHS for next season.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Premature ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I predict this will be either a rule change or an editorial change by the NFHS for next season.
Next year is fine with me, but why did he "jump the gun" this year?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 07:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something. How can it be a violation if the player does something legally?
Legal in that he stepped into the lane after the release. IAABO apparently restricts the players who occupies lane space further by saying they cannot break the plane of the free throw line until the ball contacts the rim or the backboard.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Next year is fine with me, but why did he "jump the gun" this year?
Obviously, because with the FT rule reverting to entering on the release someone asked him about this additional restriction and he immediately answered that it was back in force too without checking the current books or the text of this season's rule change. Now he has to take this stance to save face and make himself right.

I've known a few IAABO directors in the past and they have been good guys. Mr. Webb's actions of late don't seem to put him in their category.