The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:42pm
In Time Out

player passes ref the ball (out of bounds)

after a made basket. A1 takes ball and goes out of bounds like normal inbounds but he gets confused and passes it to the ref, like they were thinking about a dead ball play when the ref is supposed to hold it first.

I've had this a few times. Would you catch the ball and give it back? Move out the way?
Do you start your count as soon as the player has the ball out of bounds. So start count, then he throws it to you, do you keep counting 5 seconds?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do/have you done in this situation?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
after a made basket. A1 takes ball and goes out of bounds like normal inbounds but he gets confused and passes it to the ref, like they were thinking about a dead ball play when the ref is supposed to hold it first.

I've had this a few times. Would you catch the ball and give it back? Move out the way?
Do you start your count as soon as the player has the ball out of bounds. So start count, then he throws it to you, do you keep counting 5 seconds?
If it happens once or twice, just throw it back and start your count. Remind him when you do it that you don't need the ball if there wasn't a whistle.

If it continues, then they may need to learn the hard way.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:45pm
beware big brother

I am going to catch the pass and then turn around as pass it to team B for an easy score. As I run down the court I am going to inform the scorekeeper to make sure I get credit for an assist.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:47pm

Assuming the team that just scored is not the one tossing me the ball, when they throw it toward me, I usually just tap it back to him/her and start or continue my five count. Especially at lower level/young kids games. If the team that just scored does it, it typically draws a delay warning from me.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Catch it, and toss it back.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:57pm
AremRed

Catch it, throw it back, start count.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 06:45pm
In Time Out

but are you delaying the count? So let's say you count, 1, then the player passes it to you and you pass it back. Are you counting that second or two?

I've just passed it back. I had a coach say, "just let it go by you". I don't think I've ever had it twice in a game.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 06:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
but are you delaying the count? So let's say you count, 1, then the player passes it to you and you pass it back. Are you counting that second or two?

I've just passed it back. I had a coach say, "just let it go by you". I don't think I've ever had it twice in a game.
I'm guessing that was the coach of the team that scored. The fact that it never happens twice in a game tells you it's not really a problem.

Start your count over, IMO, unless you know they're trying to delay the game with this tactic. End of game, other team scores with 9 seconds left and the new offense wants to eat as much clock as possible, for example.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to continue my count.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

If I judged it to be an innocent mistake would catch it, bounce pass it back, and then start the count.

If I thought it was a ploy to get extra time I would continue the count and either let it go by me or let it hit me, probably in my hands and drop.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 07:13pm
Administrator

What I do depends on the age of the players and the skill level.

Boys'/girls' high school freshmen and above: I am going to side-step the pass; continue my throw-in count; and when the ball touches out-of-bounds past the Sideline extended I am going to whistle Team A for a Throw-in Violation.

Boy's/girls' Jr. H.S. and younger: Whether I catch the ball and restart Team A's Throw-in, or side-step the pass; continue my throw-in count; and when the ball touches out-of-bounds past the Sideline extended I am going to whistle Team A for a Throw-in Violation, depends upon the skill level of the teams and the players.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's What It's All About ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am going to side-step the pass;... or side-step the pass ...
Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., are you officiating a basketball game, or doing the hokey pokey?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What I do depends on the age of the players and the skill level.

Boys'/girls' high school freshmen and above: I am going to side-step the pass; continue my throw-in count; and when the ball touches out-of-bounds past the Sideline extended I am going to whistle Team A for a Throw-in Violation.

MTD, Sr.
Got a rule citation to back your violation call?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 09:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Got a rule citation to back your violation call?

NFHS: R7-S6-A2; R9-S2-A2 and A4.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio