The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:57pm
This Space Available

Clinics?

I'm a newbie in the ranks and will only have about 20 games under my belt when this season ends - all of them sub-varsity from middle school up to Freshmen and JV.

I am fortunate to have some motivating and teaching veterans to work with in both 2 and in 3 man crews in my association group, including several local NCAA officials and years-in veteran HS officials, as well as my group supervisor, himself an NCAA official. They've been great, they teach, they criticize constructively, they are encouraging and I am learning a great deal. Usually after working 2 games I will hang out and watch them work varsity, or go to our local D-1 games and watch mens' and womens' games crews to learn. I am hooked. However, I recognize that I have a very long way to go and much to learn. As you all know there is a lot to put together at one time and that can be a little overwhelming to a rookie.

The best experience is live games and immediate feedback I know, and I get all the work I want. But my first season is ending and I am looking for one or two credible and reputed clinics to hit in the off season to develop. I'm in New Mexico, but am willing to travel for the training.

Thanks for any suggestions or input anyone might have.

Rich
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Best source for camp information in general (at least that I know of) is the listing that Phillyref puts together each year:

http://phillyref.com/basketball/bask...ereecamps.html

The 2015 list probably won't be out until April or May (ironically after some of the early camps are already over), but you can get a rough idea of when some of the established camps will occur because they usually happen around the same weekend each year. Find a few you're interested in in your region, then either check the hyperlinks or google them directly and see what you can find out. Emailing the POC is also a good tool; they want aspiring officials and your money, so they'll answer.

Then I'd say bounce some of your candidate camps off your veterans; they'll give you the low down on which camps are worth your time and money versus which are just out to get your cash (of which sadly there are a handful). Do 3-person mechanics as much as possible. The assumption is that if you can work 3-p well, then you can work 2-p well, too.

Destination camps can be fun, but truthfully I'd recommend staying close to home early on in your career. That's where local HS and college assignors who can employ you are likely to be lurking in search of talent. Find out who they are and briefly introduce yourself when you get opportunities; let them know when/where your camp games are and invite them to watch you work.

Anyone know of any other good websites where camp info is listed/advertised?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 11:47pm
This Space Available

Thanks. I dove into that sight to look around. Sent a couple POC emails and will wait for a response.

Thanks for the help.

Rich
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Since you are close to Texas look at the Great Southwest Officials camp in the Duncanville or College Station. Both are really good camps and much better than most others in the area.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Lib View Post
Thanks. I dove into that sight to look around. Sent a couple POC emails and will wait for a response.

Thanks for the help.

Rich
Not a problem, Rich.

Just for grins, I looked at Phillyref and noticed only one NM or west TX camp, and that was in Albuquerque. I'm sure that's not the only clinic/camp in the state, but it just happens to be the only one posted on my favorite site. So I'd also check with your state office and/or state BB rep. He/she probably knows a few camps that they endorse that will help you get seen by HS assignors. Good luck!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 02:08pm
This Space Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Since you are close to Texas look at the Great Southwest Officials camp in the Duncanville or College Station. Both are really good camps and much better than most others in the area.
Rich, thanks for that info. Several vets in my group know these camps when I mentioned them, and endorse them. Apps open for the College Station camp later this month. It's in early June so that will work. Only a 10 hour drive for me.

Rich
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:02pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Lib View Post
Rich, thanks for that info. Several vets in my group know these camps when I mentioned them, and endorse them. Apps open for the College Station camp later this month. It's in early June so that will work. Only a 10 hour drive for me.

Rich
You will have worked 20 lower level games and you are going to drive 10 hours one way to go to a camp, is there really nothing closer, much closer that might work? Are you sure the camp you are going to drive 10 hours to is a teaching camp and not a tryout camp? If it is the latter, you are most likely wasting your time until you get some more experience.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
You will have worked 20 lower level games and you are going to drive 10 hours one way to go to a camp, is there really nothing closer, much closer that might work? Are you sure the camp you are going to drive 10 hours to is a teaching camp and not a tryout camp? If it is the latter, you are most likely wasting your time until you get some more experience.
He lives in rural southeastern New Mexico. 10 hours might be one of the closer camps!

That said, your point is fair. Probably best to avoid a camp if it markets itself strictly as a "tryout camp." Short of that, it's probably ok. Even camps that market themselves as "teaching camps" have an element of tryout built in, whether it be the organizers who happen to be DIII or JUCO assignors, or the clinicians they bring in who happen to be on their staff and also assign high school conferences.

There are plenty of observers at teaching camps who are looking for young, new officials to coach and develop.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
You will have worked 20 lower level games and you are going to drive 10 hours one way to go to a camp, is there really nothing closer, much closer that might work? Are you sure the camp you are going to drive 10 hours....
You've obviously never been to New Mexico or West Texas.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:56pm
This Space Available

Gents, nothing I saw in the advertisements for past camps mentioned tryouts. That would not be the route I would take at this point. This is the closest quality/reputable camp to me I've found yet. I'm about 7 hours from Phoenix, 10 from Denver and 12 from Dallas, so long trips go with the territory.

The info I've heard is that they are always evaluating officials at these particular camps for assignors, but - exactly like crosscountry mentioned - if they sense some capability or promise they make an effort at development/mentoring. Right now that is exactly what I am looking for. Improvement and development with some quality instruction that I can bring back next season.

Rich
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:46pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You've obviously never been to New Mexico or West Texas.

I guess I am spoiled being where I am at. There were and still are many quality camps all spring, summer, and fall within a very short distance.