The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

"Tip" mechanic

In the frontcourt, A1 passes the ball toward A2. B1 gets a hand on the pass and deflects the ball into the backcourt. A1 runs into the backcourt and controls the ball.

When are we supposed to give the "tip" mechanic to indicate that B was last to touch the ball in the frontcourt? Do we do it when the ball gains backcourt status or do we wait until A1 touches the ball? Is this mechanic supposed to be a message to Team A that they may touch the ball without violating or is it supposed to be used to clarify our no-call when A1 touches the ball?

I would think we're supposed to do it when the ball gains backcourt status, but I can't find anything that explicitly says that.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 07:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Use it to tell everyone that it's legal for A to retrieve the ball.

Of course, you should be counting at that point, as well.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wait until it's got backcourt status...nothing is gonna look worse than you giving the tip signal too early...then have A grab it while in the frontcourt, land in the backcourt, then you call a correct BC violation
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I might be in the minority on this, but I mostly see the C giving this signal as an indicator to the T. If I am the T, and it goes to the backcourt on a tip, I am not coordinated enough to hustle back, give a tip signal and then start counting. Hopefully its fairly obvious that it wasn't a back court violation.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Wait until it's got backcourt status...nothing is gonna look worse than you giving the tip signal too early...then have A grab it while in the frontcourt, land in the backcourt, then you call a correct BC violation
No doubt! I almost had a situation like this on Monday. B1 knocked the ball out of A1's hands toward the backcourt. I did not give the tip signal and A1 jumped from the frontcourt, grabbed the ball while airborne, and landed in the backcourt. Correctly called the violation.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 04:08am
Never Stop Learning

This signal was adopted because NFHS felt team A was put at a disadvantage by not knowing weather they could retrieve the ball and team B could retrieve it no matter what. It should be given as soon as the ball has back court statues and as was stated we should be counting at the same time. Good luck with that.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
This signal was adopted because NFHS felt team A was put at a disadvantage by not knowing weather they could retrieve the ball and team B could retrieve it no matter what. It should be given as soon as the ball has back court statues and as was stated we should be counting at the same time. Good luck with that.
That may be the reason but it was a bad reason.

Team A would be dumb to not play the ball in either case. If they were the last to touch, they at least prevent B from getting a free shot at the ball and a potentially easy bucket. If they were not the last to touch there is no issue.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

For me it's a signal among the officials, no matter the stated reason for it.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That may be the reason but it was a bad reason.

Team A would be dumb to not play the ball in either case. If they were the last to touch, they at least prevent B from getting a free shot at the ball and a potentially easy bucket. If they were not the last to touch there is no issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
For me it's a signal among the officials, no matter the stated reason for it.
I agree with both of you.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If they were the last to touch, they at least prevent B from getting a free shot at the ball and a potentially easy bucket. If they were not the last to touch there is no issue.
I once watched A2 get into a defensive crouch between the ball and Team B's goal after A1 dribbled off his foot and the ball slowly rolled into the back court. He waited for B1 to try to pick the ball up, took a swipe at it, and started dribbling back to his front court.

If this had been a situation where a tip was involved, I'm sure A2 would have appreciated that information.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I once watched A2 get into a defensive crouch between the ball and Team B's goal after A1 dribbled off his foot and the ball slowly rolled into the back court. He waited for B1 to try to pick the ball up, took a swipe at it, and started dribbling back to his front court.

If this had been a situation where a tip was involved, I'm sure A2 would have appreciated that information.
Camron's point is that he's better off just getting to the ball ASAP. Letting it go deep into the BC is a bad move.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Camron's point is that he's better off just getting to the ball ASAP. Letting it go deep into the BC is a bad move.
This may be true. And if Camron was A2's coach, he can have that discussion. But, it doesn't negate the fact that it is information that might be useful to the players and coaches as well as the officials.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This may be true. And if Camron was A2's coach, he can have that discussion. But, it doesn't negate the fact that it is information that might be useful to the players and coaches as well as the officials.
I hope they're not stopping to see where I am to see if I'm signaling before they go play the ball. If they do that, they're probably getting beat to the ball.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 08:06pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Use it to tell everyone that it's legal for A to retrieve the ball.

Of course, you should be counting at that point, as well.
To be clear, start counting as soon as the ball has backcourt status, even if it was tipped by B, because team control remains with A, correct?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
To be clear, start counting as soon as the ball has backcourt status, even if it was tipped by B, because team control remains with A, correct?
Correct