The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 06:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fact Check ...

Coach Bill: Just curious. How many of these "put the ball down" situations have become five second violations against your team? How many have escalated to technical fouls?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 04, 2015 at 07:22am.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
To be fair, if this happened in an NBA game, the team would be assessed a delay of game warning. So a team is only gonna do this once before being assessed a technical.

Put me in the camp though of doing absolutely everything to avoid the ROP. If they're coming out late enough for you to consider doing this, I can almost guarantee they've done this early in the game. IF you're gonna use the ROP, I'd be using it earlier in the game. I don't want the first time to be in the fourth quarter.
I think you're wrong on your guarantee. It happens when it happens. More times than not, it's going to happen late in the game when the coach is trying to relate a detailed play in a tight situation. That's the conversation that takes 45 seconds that he's trying to squeeze into 30.

That said, we should be hustling them out of their huddles the whole game.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

You can use "ROP-Lite" early in the game to *help* reduce the chances of needed to use ROP late in the game.

If a team is a little slow coming out early, blow the whistle as they first break the huddle, and be deliberate in putting the ball on the floor (or giving it to the other team).

You don't need to wait for them to set up the offense / defense, but you also don't want to give the other team an easy basket or create a 5-second violation.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can use "ROP-Lite" early in the game to *help* reduce the chances of needed to use ROP late in the game.

If a team is a little slow coming out early, blow the whistle as they first break the huddle, and be deliberate in putting the ball on the floor (or giving it to the other team).

You don't need to wait for them to set up the offense / defense, but you also don't want to give the other team an easy basket or create a 5-second violation.
That only works if they are a little slow early. The last time I had to use the ROP they weren't slow at all until they were a lot slow late. The problem with the idea of needing to get it early if you're going to get it late is it doesn't always happen early.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
That only works if they are a little slow early. The last time I had to use the ROP they weren't slow at all until they were a lot slow late. The problem with the idea of needing to get it early if you're going to get it late is it doesn't always happen early.
well, of course.

But, it happens frequently enough that it should be used, imo. I see too many times where the second horn has sounded and the officials just wait for everyone to amble into position.

then in the second quarter, 9 of them amble, while the coach gets one more instruction in to the PG, and the officials wait.

Then in the third quarter, the team breaks, but meets again by the FT line ...

Then in the fourth quarter, they are still in the huddle.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I use ROP maybe a couple times a season. If we're 10-15 seconds past the second horn and one team shows no sign of moving, I'm going to make the ball live. I've never had anyone complain about it.

I may also use ROP if a team has repeatedly failed to come out of time-outs/intermissions in a timely manner throughout the game and I've spoken with them about the delay. In that case, I might make the ball live 5-10 seconds after the second horn, even if they appear to be finishing up.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 12:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I like the ROP-lite mechanic.

It sounds like a trick I've done in the past. Hand the ball to the thrower-in just as B breaks the huddle, and they have to jog to play D. Or put the ball down when the thrower-in is "almost there". If they are paying attention, they will get the message with little to no effect on the possession. But continually hanging around their huddle and using your voice is craziness, imho.

There are officiating tools available. Use them.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I like the ROP-lite mechanic.

It sounds like a trick I've done in the past. Hand the ball to the thrower-in just as B breaks the huddle, and they have to jog to play D. Or put the ball down when the thrower-in is "almost there". If they are paying attention, they will get the message with little to no effect on the possession. But continually hanging around their huddle and using your voice is craziness, imho.

There are officiating tools available. Use them.
Yep. I think I've only actually used the ROP procedure once this year (Actually sat the ball down). I've done what you're describing several times. If the throw-in team is lollygagging around and doesn't act like they care how quickly they get there, just set it down. That usually hurries them up.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I agree with this 100%. U never see it at the higher levels, cuz it's unnecessary. It should be a last resort after prior warnings have gone unheeded. I've seen officials do it when we're few seconds late, and we're hustling onto the court, and they put the ball down. that's crap. In my opinion.
Sorry, but you don't see it at higher levels because it's not necessary, the coaches know how to manage the time allotted in a timeout. There's a reason we get someone outside the huddle after the first horn. It works here. And if it doesn't, then the ball goes live.

Now, the process I use to do this normally gives them a few extra seconds to get in place. Frankly, I never see a defensive team do this because the risk is higher.

And if a team has been able to get out on time all game, they can do it with 30 seconds left, too. I don't get that.

But here, we're expected to use RPP if it comes to it, and I rarely have to do it more than once a game.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Coach Bill: Just curious. How many of these "put the ball down" situations have become five second violations against your team? How many have escalated to technical fouls?
No technical fouls for sure. Not sure of any 5-second calls. I don't even remember the ball being set down on us in a very long time.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2015, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

We had this situation last night late in a Varsity Game. By rule you might be absolutely within the boundaries, but to me this falls under game management, I am going to do everything to act annoyed, give a few extra "hustle up, lets go green" but I am not putting the ball in play in the front court in this situation.

You said before your OP that V's coach was whiney, consciously or subconsciously you have to ask yourself if that played into your decision. If it didn't, then live with your decision and move on. Right or wrong, by the many posts on this subject guys are going to handle this different ways.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Do you ever see this done in a college or NBA game when you're watching on TV? No.

So why do NFHS games become this weird laboratory for officiating experiments? This kind of, "watch what I have the power to do!" stuff is nonsense. Indeed, fourth quarter of a close game, for Pete's sake please find another way to address this.

John Adams et al. made teams not breaking timeouts an NCAA POE a couple years back. But like pace of play in baseball, change isn't coming overnight. So in the meantime, stay close to the huddle, stare in the assistant coach's face, hold up two fingers, and keep verbalizing. But please don't put the ball down when an entire team isn't even moving onto the floor. For college officials that's a sure way to get kicked off a staff. Should be like that for HS, too.
#amen #whathesaid
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 12:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

A few years ago in a HS football playoff game, the defense was slow to return after a timeout and the crew marked the ball ready for play, the offense snapped the ball, and waltzed into the end zone for a touchdown.

This was not good officiating.