The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 12:35pm
Ok is the new good

Playoff Prep

Playoffs start in my neck of the woods on Feb 14th..

Officials want to hold a Rules Study Session this week in Prep for Playoffs

Suggestions on what your top 5 areas of rules you would cover....

Thanks!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 12:44pm
In Time Out

the fumble and high dribble. Principle of verticality. hmm. in the playoffs with the higher level of play I've found you don't need to worry so much about hand checks and some other minor fouls if not impacting play but that can vary.

Cowbells. Yeah go over them. Always watch for the cowbells.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 01:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Not changing anything from the regular season.

If your area has cleaned up the hand checking, don't start ignoring it now.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just my opinion.

I would start with definitions and then read the casebook.

Otherwise I think special playoff prep is too late. You need to have been studying those things all along or going over plays and situation during the season. Reading this site or others like it also helps. Rules knowledge comes with many games, situations and watching and hearing situations happen. Because if you do not know something now, when the real bullets are flying you have to "know" rather than "remember."

Peace
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 01:44pm
This IS My Social Life

What would be of more value to your pool of officials now, reviewing a number of rules or reviewing positioning mechanics and coverages?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 01:47pm
In Time Out

I've never heard about playoff prep before.
The only thing is I'd want to see is the refs on the same page. I've seen a few games when they aren't or maybe you'll have one game when the refs are calling it really tight, and then the next is loose. Sometimes with the playoffs you are working with new people and the chemistry isn't there. I do like working with new refs though because sometimes things just click and it goes really well.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I've never heard about playoff prep before.
The only thing is I'd want to see is the refs on the same page. I've seen a few games when they aren't or maybe you'll have one game when the refs are calling it really tight, and then the next is loose. Sometimes with the playoffs you are working with new people and the chemistry isn't there. I do like working with new refs though because sometimes things just click and it goes really well.
I kind of agree. If anything, have an extra-detailed pre-game. And this doesn't have to all be in the dressing room. Try to go to the game site together, maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day. Shoot the breeze, get to know each other, talk about basketball. It works wonders for being on the same page come tip-off time.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 08:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Get a hold of somebody's game video and review it.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 09:11pm
Official & Member

Our state assn. sent out an email to all local assns. a week ago emphasizing...of all things...uniform and equipment rules. Specifically, undershirts, leg sleeves, and tights. Their concern is that schools will be going into state tournament play with illegal items.

Regional Girls play is underway. Boys begin next Thursday. Nice to know they're focused on the important things.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Feb 07, 2015 at 09:15pm.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:55pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day.
This part made me laugh. Other than Saturdays, most of the guys I know go directly from their jobs to their games. If it wasn't for that pesky need to actually make a living, I would agree there could be some merit in this approach.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Instead of going over rules, I'd be going over some game film (as suggested by BNR) or getting your hands on as many clips of plays as possible and breaking down the plays (positioning...then if the call is CC/IC/NCC/NCI...plus anything other unusual situations).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day. Shoot the breeze, get to know each other, talk about basketball. It works wonders for being on the same page come tip-off time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This part made me laugh. Other than Saturdays, most of the guys I know go directly from their jobs to their games. If it wasn't for that pesky need to actually make a living, I would agree there could be some merit in this approach.
For regional playoffs in my area, officials assigned to the tournaments are assigned about a month in advance, but several on the crew are coming from hundreds of miles away, if not flying in. There is usually a designated "crew chief" responsible for the assigning. Game assignments are given the night before the first day at a local watering hole. Sometimes we get to know some of our partners a little better than we'd really like to.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Our state assn. sent out an email to all local assns. a week ago emphasizing...of all things...uniform and equipment rules. Specifically, undershirts, leg sleeves, and tights. Their concern is that schools will be going into state tournament play with illegal items.

Regional Girls play is underway. Boys begin next Thursday. Nice to know they're focused on the important things.
I say good for your state assn. 1. It heads off problems later in the tournament if it gets dealt with in the first playoff games and 2. I've always thought that if the an official can't get the non-judgment items right in which all he has to do is look at the color of an item, I'm not going to have much confidence in his other rules knowledge or his attention to detail.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corners Of States ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It heads off problems later in the tournament if it gets dealt with in the first playoff games.
Some local boards may interpret equipment rules (undershirt, headbands, wristbands, sleeves) differently, so as teams start dealing with new officials, and new interpretations, it's good to get everybody together on the same page.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)