The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Playoff Prep (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99257-playoff-prep.html)

The_Rookie Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:35pm

Playoff Prep

Playoffs start in my neck of the woods on Feb 14th..

Officials want to hold a Rules Study Session this week in Prep for Playoffs

Suggestions on what your top 5 areas of rules you would cover....

Thanks!

mutantducky Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:44pm

the fumble and high dribble. Principle of verticality. hmm. in the playoffs with the higher level of play I've found you don't need to worry so much about hand checks and some other minor fouls if not impacting play but that can vary.

Cowbells. Yeah go over them. Always watch for the cowbells.

Rich Sat Feb 07, 2015 01:00pm

Not changing anything from the regular season.

If your area has cleaned up the hand checking, don't start ignoring it now.

JRutledge Sat Feb 07, 2015 01:12pm

Just my opinion.

I would start with definitions and then read the casebook.

Otherwise I think special playoff prep is too late. You need to have been studying those things all along or going over plays and situation during the season. Reading this site or others like it also helps. Rules knowledge comes with many games, situations and watching and hearing situations happen. Because if you do not know something now, when the real bullets are flying you have to "know" rather than "remember."

Peace

Freddy Sat Feb 07, 2015 01:44pm

What would be of more value to your pool of officials now, reviewing a number of rules or reviewing positioning mechanics and coverages?

mutantducky Sat Feb 07, 2015 01:47pm

I've never heard about playoff prep before.
The only thing is I'd want to see is the refs on the same page. I've seen a few games when they aren't or maybe you'll have one game when the refs are calling it really tight, and then the next is loose. Sometimes with the playoffs you are working with new people and the chemistry isn't there. I do like working with new refs though because sometimes things just click and it goes really well.

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 07, 2015 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 954035)
I've never heard about playoff prep before.
The only thing is I'd want to see is the refs on the same page. I've seen a few games when they aren't or maybe you'll have one game when the refs are calling it really tight, and then the next is loose. Sometimes with the playoffs you are working with new people and the chemistry isn't there. I do like working with new refs though because sometimes things just click and it goes really well.

I kind of agree. If anything, have an extra-detailed pre-game. And this doesn't have to all be in the dressing room. Try to go to the game site together, maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day. Shoot the breeze, get to know each other, talk about basketball. It works wonders for being on the same page come tip-off time.

Raymond Sat Feb 07, 2015 08:59pm

Get a hold of somebody's game video and review it.

Bad Zebra Sat Feb 07, 2015 09:11pm

Our state assn. sent out an email to all local assns. a week ago emphasizing...of all things...uniform and equipment rules. Specifically, undershirts, leg sleeves, and tights. Their concern is that schools will be going into state tournament play with illegal items.

Regional Girls play is underway. Boys begin next Thursday. Nice to know they're focused on the important things. :(

johnny d Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 954084)
maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day.

This part made me laugh. Other than Saturdays, most of the guys I know go directly from their jobs to their games. If it wasn't for that pesky need to actually make a living, I would agree there could be some merit in this approach.

APG Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21am

Instead of going over rules, I'd be going over some game film (as suggested by BNR) or getting your hands on as many clips of plays as possible and breaking down the plays (positioning...then if the call is CC/IC/NCC/NCI...plus anything other unusual situations).

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 954084)
... maybe even have lunch or dinner together earlier in the day. Shoot the breeze, get to know each other, talk about basketball. It works wonders for being on the same page come tip-off time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 954114)
This part made me laugh. Other than Saturdays, most of the guys I know go directly from their jobs to their games. If it wasn't for that pesky need to actually make a living, I would agree there could be some merit in this approach.

For regional playoffs in my area, officials assigned to the tournaments are assigned about a month in advance, but several on the crew are coming from hundreds of miles away, if not flying in. There is usually a designated "crew chief" responsible for the assigning. Game assignments are given the night before the first day at a local watering hole. Sometimes we get to know some of our partners a little better than we'd really like to.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 954088)
Our state assn. sent out an email to all local assns. a week ago emphasizing...of all things...uniform and equipment rules. Specifically, undershirts, leg sleeves, and tights. Their concern is that schools will be going into state tournament play with illegal items.

Regional Girls play is underway. Boys begin next Thursday. Nice to know they're focused on the important things. :(

I say good for your state assn. 1. It heads off problems later in the tournament if it gets dealt with in the first playoff games and 2. I've always thought that if the an official can't get the non-judgment items right in which all he has to do is look at the color of an item, I'm not going to have much confidence in his other rules knowledge or his attention to detail.

BillyMac Sun Feb 08, 2015 07:37am

Little Corners Of States ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 954088)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 954128)
It heads off problems later in the tournament if it gets dealt with in the first playoff games.

Some local boards may interpret equipment rules (undershirt, headbands, wristbands, sleeves) differently, so as teams start dealing with new officials, and new interpretations, it's good to get everybody together on the same page.