The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Help Me Prep for Next Year?

After some long discussions with a friend (who is in the business, but he lives out in Pennsylvania and I'm in Chicago), I have decided I want to prepare myself to start officiating football for next season. I am assuming that it is too late to get started for this year so I just want to take all steps necessary to get myself ready to go next year.

So I ask, where would I start? Is there anyone in the Chicago suburbs area who might be able to point me in the right direction? I'd love to seek out a "mentor" of some sorts.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Find a local association, get a mentor, watch as much as you can, get Reddings book on rules, go to workshops...absorb as much as you can.

If you can still do it this year, find a crew that will let you go with them and be with them in pre-game, half-time, post-game and walk the field with the wings during the game if possible.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:25pm
TODO: creative title here

1) Find an official's association: IHSA Officials Associations. Contact a few that you might want to join, and see what games/schools/conferences they schedule officials for, and try to join one that schedules games in your area. The association can probably also hook you up with experienced officials who can become mentors for you.

2) Attend a few high school games. When you're there, watch the officials rather then watching the game action. Check out their positioning, their mechanics, hand signals, etc. You can also do this while watching games on TV, although it's harder for televised games because you rarely see the officials.

3) get a copy of the NFHS Rulebook. An older copy (2006, 2007, or 2008) would be ok to learn most of the basics. Go through it slowly, and try to picture the situations in your head as you go through the book.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey there, I'm from Palatine, and I would highly suggest taking the IACAO football officials course. It is 8 weeks in the summer and by the end you will be licensed with the IHSA, you will have all the assignor information for HS football, and most importantly, you will have a great foundation to build on. The class fee is your license fee for the state (actually, is is $15 cheaper I think, but that includes the license). The information can be found on IACAO Home

Also, there are plenty of youth games out there on Saturday and Sunday around Chicago, great way to get your feet wet.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

The football class is a great way to get started. I am one of the instructors of that class at the Lisle site. Send me a PM and I can pass along some information to you about specific associations and give you further information as well.

Peace