Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So did B3 have the emery board?
Sick reference. And yes I remember it. I actually was watching the game that night when it happened all those years ago. And remembering it takes me back to my younger years.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So did B3 have the emery board?
Stupid phone.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Play 1: Another excellent illustration and reason for high school officials to stick with our own prescribed mechanics versus the "fashionable" fist up and leave trend.
Maybe in your corner of the world. I don't work with anyone that gives a litany of signals before heading to the table.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:02am
Back from the DL

1. Looked like a clean strip, but the L had a better look at any contact.

2. Blocking foul. Defender jumped forward, and made contact with the shooter with only one foot on the floor. No LGP.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
Sick reference. And yes I remember it. I actually was watching the game that night when it happened all those years ago. And remembering it takes me back to my younger years.
Embarrassing Night for Niekro and Angels : Twins' Pitcher Ejected When Emery Board Is Found; Minnesota Romps

August 04, 1987|MIKE PENNER | Times Staff Writer

The emery board was made for fingernails, not knuckles or knuckleballs or any type of baseball. So when one popped out of the back pocket of Minnesota Twins' pitcher Joe Niekro during the fourth inning of Monday night's 11-3 Angel loss, Niekro soon found himself out of the game.
After the third pitch Niekro delivered to Brian Downing in the bottom of the fourth, home plate umpire Tim Tschida stopped play and ordered Niekro frisked. Tschida had Niekro pull out all of his pants pockets and with 33,983 fans at Anaheim Stadium looking on, there Niekro stood, looking like a penniless pauper.
He had enough money to invest in an emery board, however. The umpiring crew discovered it during the search, resting on the infield grass.
Niekro had tried to slicker Tschida and Co., pulling out his back pockets with one motion, bringing both arms over his head and-- flick! --discreetly dumping the file on the ground.

Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not going to reward an offensive player for jumping into a defender.
If B doesn't want to be liable for illegal contact, tell them to not jump forward and toward the shooter or that if they're gonna do that, go in a path that would take them clear of the shooter.

I will reward the offensive for using a pump fake effectively to draw the defense into an illegal position.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:25am
AremRed

Quote:
I'm not going to reward an offensive player for jumping into a defender.
Irrelevant if the defender isn't legal.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe in your corner of the world. I don't work with anyone that gives a litany of signals before heading to the table.
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. Wasn't implying officials need to go through a litany of signals; rather, who was responsible for observing and diffusing the immediate reaction of the players? The lead official or #12 from Duke?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Irrelevant if the defender isn't legal.
Exactly. A jump shooter can take any path he wants to take a shot -- unless there's a legal defender in his path. There isn't. Foul on B.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. Wasn't implying officials need to go through a litany of signals; rather, who was responsible for observing and diffusing the immediate reaction of the players? The lead official or #12 from Duke?
How about the other two officials -- the T should be right there and the C is coming in to take the L's spot.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How about the other two officials -- the T should be right there and the C is coming in to take the L's spot.
True and it may be the acceptable NCAA mechanics for the lead to go quickly and let the T or C handle any possible confrontation. However, it appears neither T or C made any movement here. Maybe a good thing #12 did. The Federation manual advises us not to be in a rush to leave the area.

Last edited by billyu2; Mon Feb 02, 2015 at 03:52pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
the foul was on the player behind A1.
I'm surprised more people haven't recognized this. The L is in perfect position to see this and clearly signals #32 to the table.

On the second video I've got nothing but its close. I would not have an argument with a whistle on the play.