The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Intentionally Leaving The Court. Violation?

Intentionally leaving the court is a violation, correct?

Situation:

Team A makes a basket. Team B immediately calls timeout, and will have the run of the endline when returning from timeout.

Official hands B1 ball for throw in after timeout. B2 then leaves the court on the other side of the lane.

B1 throws the ball to B3 at the free throw line.

Is this a violation for B2 leaving the court?

Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRef View Post

Situation:

Team A makes a basket. Team B immediately calls timeout, and will have the run of the endline when returning from timeout.

Official hands B1 ball for throw in after timeout. B2 then leaves the court on the other side of the lane.

B1 throws the ball to B3 at the free throw line.

Is this a violation for B2 leaving the court?

Thanks.
After a made or awarded basket, a team is permitted to have more than one player out of bounds during the throw-in.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRef View Post
Not correct.

Intentionally leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a violation. (or whatever the specific words are)
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

The violation is only for leaving for an unauthorized reason (9-3-3), but in this case there is a throw-in rule which specifically authorizes the players of the throwing team to be out of bounds (7-5-7a).
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

We had a game 1/26/15, it went like this:

During the 4th quarter, Team A's(them) player fouled out and this also put Team B(us) at the free throw line. Well, Player A gets so mad he leaves the bench area and playing court headed to toward their locker room. The referee spotted the occurrence, didn't allow us to shoot the free throws & told Team A's coach, & the other 2 refs he had to come back. Mind you Team A(us) is waiting to shoot free throws. The referees waited for him to return to the bench all while we waited over 1 minute. Team A never received a technical. I argued my point, tried to get a referee to come to me but was ignored. Never got an explanation.

NFHS 2014-15 Rule 10: Fouls & Penalties Section 5: Head Coach Rules, Article 5 states: The Head Coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 5) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. The foul is directly charged to the head coach.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:11pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights_Coach View Post

During the 4th quarter, Team A's(them) player fouled out and this also put Team B(us) at the free throw line. Well, Player A gets so mad he leaves the bench area and playing court headed to toward their locker room. The referee spotted the occurrence, didn't allow us to shoot the free throws & told Team A's coach, & the other 2 refs he had to come back. Mind you Team A(us) is waiting to shoot free throws. The referees waited for him to return to the bench all while we waited over 1 minute. Team A never received a technical. I argued my point, tried to get a referee to come to me but was ignored. Never got an explanation.

NFHS 2014-15 Rule 10: Fouls & Penalties Section 5: Head Coach Rules, Article 5 states: The Head Coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 5) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. The foul is directly charged to the head coach.

What level do you coach at, you seem to have problems in a lot of your games
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:13pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
What level do you coach at, you seem to have problems in a lot of your games
That's kind of rude and uncalled for. He doesn't critique your officiating discussions, does he?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
That's kind of rude and uncalled for. He doesn't critique your officiating discussions, does he?
I thought his point was more about ref level than the coach . . . different realistic expectations for HS V refs and MS refs . . .
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:21pm
beware big brother

Quote:

Not meant to be rude at all. If he is coaching jr. high or lower, he would most likely have newer officials on his game learning how to officiate. In that case, I would suggest he ease up a little and realize that just like his players, his officials are still learning and are more prone to make mistakes.

If you are offended by a simple question like the one I posed to coach, I would suggest that you need some thicker skin. In case you couldn't figure it out, that statement was purposefully rude.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:22pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I thought his point was more about ref level than the coach . . . different realistic expectations for HS V refs and MS refs . . .
I understand...you're probably right but the original poster has a total of 2 posts. How do you think he's going to interpret the comment?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Jan 28, 2015 at 02:30pm.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:27pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
...If you are offended by a simple question like the one I posed to coach, I would suggest that you need some thicker skin. In case you couldn't figure it out, that statement was purposefully rude.
Not offended at all...and my skin is plenty thick. Just don't like to see new members scared off by poor manners. I understood where you were coming from but if you read you're response in a literal sense, it's kind of insulting.

And instead of implying I can't figure something out, you might work on your written communication skills.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights_Coach View Post

That rule was put in to address the entire team leaving at the end of a half when the other team had FTs still to shoot.

In general, I think the officials got this one right.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

If I had that coach's scenario happen in my game, I think I would go the route of reminding him that if he's going to allow his player to leave the playing area, that he needs to be accompanied by adult personnel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
TF on Bad Zebra. He wasn't rude at all. He was empathizing.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That rule was put in to address the entire team leaving at the end of a half when the other team had FTs still to shoot.

In general, I think the officials got this one right.
An example which the NFHS gave when first publishing the rule was a team member leaving the bench and going up into the stands to confront a spectator.
Technical foul charged to the head coach was the ruling.