The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Shooting foul to end the half

V1 is fouled in the act of shooting as the horn sounds signaling the end of the second quarter. As we are preparing to shoot the free throws, which are being shot right in front of the home bench, the home team begins to leave the court for halftime. One of my partners in front of the bench sounds his whistle just as I am administering the ball from the first of three free throws. He tells the home team that they can't be up and moving below the free-throw line so they either need to sit down or leave the court. I tell him he should keep them on the bench. He goes ahead and lets them leave to go to their locker room before The free throws are administered. We then administer the free throws after which the visitors head out to their locker room.

So, which is correct? Should the team that is not involved in the free throws be allowed to leave the court prior to V1 shooting his free throws, or should they be required to remain on the court until the quarter has actually ended with the shooting of the free throws?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Both teams must stay until the quarter has ended which is after the freethrows. Leaving the court before hand is considered "unauthorized" and will earn the coach a direct T.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
V1 is fouled in the act of shooting as the horn sounds signaling the end of the second quarter. As we are preparing to shoot the free throws, which are being shot right in front of the home bench, the home team begins to leave the court for halftime. One of my partners in front of the bench sounds his whistle just as I am administering the ball from the first of three free throws. He tells the home team that they can't be up and moving below the free-throw line so they either need to sit down or leave the court. I tell him he should keep them on the bench. He goes ahead and lets them leave to go to their locker room before The free throws are administered. We then administer the free throws after which the visitors head out to their locker room.

So, which is correct? Should the team that is not involved in the free throws be allowed to leave the court prior to V1 shooting his free throws, or should they be required to remain on the court until the quarter has actually ended with the shooting of the free throws?
Straight from the NFHS Case Book:
UNAUTHORIZED LEAVING OF THE BENCH AREA/PLAYING COURT
10.5.5 SITUATION A: Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is
released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful
try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws,
Team B’s head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.
RULING: Team B’s head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting
team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though
no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn’t end until A1’s free throws
are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will
attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member
attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has
lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will
begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 10:43am
AremRed

What prevents me from authorizing the team to leave the floor?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 11:06am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
See Nevada's citation.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have Nevada's play. Also, if you look at Rule 10 you can see that the rules dont authorize you to authorize them to leave. A team has to occupy bench it is assigned. Players are required to sit etc when game going on. The half isnt over until the free throws are shot. They give the T to the coach rather than penalize each player.. These are rules just like the rule where player gets 5 fouls. I cant authorize or say he gets a 6th foul. That is an extreme example, but these other things are rules too.

I think the penalty is harsh. Not a fan of it. I make sure teams stay at bench so i dont have to call it. thx
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 11:38am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
See Nevada's citation.
If I as the R authorize the team to leave, wouldn't that be an authorized reason? The NFHS has not given us a list of authorized/unauthorized reasons for leaving the floor so I believe I am free to use my good judgement to determine what is and is not an 'authorized reason'. 2-3.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I as the R authorize the team to leave, wouldn't that be an authorized reason? The NFHS has not given us a list of authorized/unauthorized reasons for leaving the floor so I believe I am free to use my good judgement to determine what is and is not an 'authorized reason'. 2-3.
see above. thx
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 11:47am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
see above. thx
You're not getting it guys. This case play clearly implies that leaving the court before the ending action of a quarter is an 'unauthorized reason' but given that the NFHS has not created a list detailing exactly what is and is not an authorized reason to leave the floor, I believe I am free to authorize and unauthorize according to my judgement. In this case I wouldn't mess with it.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're not getting it guys. This case play clearly implies that leaving the court before the ending action of a quarter is an 'unauthorized reason' but given that the NFHS has not created a list detailing exactly what is and is not an authorized reason to leave the floor, I believe I am free to authorize and unauthorize according to my judgement. In this case I wouldn't mess with it.
The case play tells you this is not an authorized reason. You don't have the authority to override this any more than you can "decide" A1 going around a screen is an authorized reason.

What are authorized reasons? Letting a team member go to the locker room to tend to an injury or sickness.

"Coach, you and your team need to remain at your bench until the FTs are completed." If he doesn't comply, then we have 4 free throws to shoot while he's in the locker room, and he'll come back to a seat belt.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

10-5-5: The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench
area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, we are.

As I told someone else, while I respect your beliefs, they are not relevant here.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I see what your point is here, but not sure. While I disagree with you that we have the authority to allow a team to leave or not, in the OP, I don't think I'd have a T. The reason being is that if my partner had mistakenly allowed the coach to take his team to the locker room, I'm not going to give them a tech when they were told they could. I think the best way to handle this is to have an official stop them and basically not allow them to leave. If they ignore the warning, then they dig their own grave, but if you tell them they can? Not a good Tech to give, especially for an act that has no real bearing on the game.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A good reason would be that if Team A was assessed a TF before shots were completed, you would have nobody from Team B to shoot them.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 03:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You have as much right to authorize the teams to leave in this situation as you do to award 4 points for a half-court basket.