The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 03:08am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I'm using the logic of when a disqualified player becomes bench personnel to this situation.

A disqualified player becomes bench personnel at the point the head coach has been notified. So If the disqualified decides to make a remark to the official on his way to the bench, after the HC has been notified, that is an indirect on the HC even if it occurred before the player was off the floor.

Using that logic, if the HC has been DQed and de ides he needs to take another shot at the officials before leaving, I'm hanging that as an indirect on the newly anointed replacement HC.
The phrase apples and oranges comes to mind. There is no provision for the status of the head coach to change as far as making him an underling. He's still the head coach, even after he's ejected, in my opinion. After he leaves, then the debate starts about who is "head coach" or "acting head coach" or whatever.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The phrase apples and oranges comes to mind. There is no provision for the status of the head coach to change as far as making him an underling. He's still the head coach, even after he's ejected, in my opinion. After he leaves, then the debate starts about who is "head coach" or "acting head coach" or whatever.
Agreed. I wouldn't even consider hanging any theatrics from the HC on the AC who ends up taking his place. At that point, I'm already submitting paperwork anyway, so the HC's antics will be included in that report.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I would consider hanging that on the new head coach is if the disqualified head coach doesn't leave in a timely manner. If it's been 30 seconds since he's been told he's done and he's nowhere near the door, I'll ask who the new head coach is and then tell that person that they are now responsible for the disqualified head coach's behavior. Then maybe we'll have someone who can help get the guy out of the gym.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 03:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
The only time I would consider hanging that on the new head coach is if the disqualified head coach doesn't leave in a timely manner. If it's been 30 seconds since he's been told he's done and he's nowhere near the door, I'll ask who the new head coach is and then tell that person that they are now responsible for the disqualified head coach's behavior.

I don't see any provision which allows this. The only thing left in the book, as I recall, is: Failure to comply with ejection provisions may result in a forfeit.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see any provision which allows this. The only thing left in the book, as I recall, is: Failure to comply with ejection provisions may result in a forfeit.
There's also no provision which doesn't allow it. In fact, it's not even addressed. If this happens in my game, this is how I would choose to handle it per 2-3.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The only gave I've ever had a HC get run, he tried to hesitate and intimidate us. My partner actually gave him a third technical foul, then informed the AC that if the HC wasn't out of sight within 30 seconds we'd be forfeiting the game. Their team was dominating that league (winning most games by 40-50 points), and was winning this game in similar fashion.

He left.