The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Thats what I'm trying to establish . . .seems opinion is mixed.
You've read the relevant rules and the arguments here -- what is your opinion / decision?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thats what I'm trying to establish . . .seems opinion is mixed.
Not an airborne shooter for two reasons.

First, he left the ball without the ball. Had he released a try before jumping, the answer would be the same.

Second, and most importantly, he never released a try. An airborne shooter must be someone who has either released a try, or still has the ball and is attempting to do so. Your player is simply someone who had the ball stolen who then proceeded to jump into the air.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds as if it has been determined that the player began as a shooter and then when the ball was stripped (and it was clear it wasn't going in the hoop) the player became a non-shooter.

Given that, it would be a common foul.

Now, same scenario however ball is hit out of shooter's hand but still goes towards the hoop (meaning it has a chance to go in the hoop). Does that make our player an airborne shooter still when he gets his legs clipped and thus 2 FT's would be awarded if the ball does not enter the hoop?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As he gathers and starts to elevate B2 reaches in and strips the ball on the way up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

First, he left the ball [edit: floor] without the ball. Had he released a try before jumping, the answer would be the same.
I misread the OP. I agree that there can be no airborne shooter if he leaves the floor without the ball.

I don't mean to hijack the thread with the following question, but would it change your ruling if A1 was stripped by B1 after becoming airborne, subsequently to have his legs taken out from under him while still airborne by B2 who is diving for the loose ball? That's what the play I was making the argument for A1 being an airborne shooter.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I misread the OP. I agree that there can be no airborne shooter if he leaves the floor without the ball.

I don't mean to hijack the thread with the following question, but would it change your ruling if A1 was stripped by B1 after becoming airborne, subsequently to have his legs taken out from under him while still airborne by B2 who is diving for the loose ball? That's what the play I was making the argument for A1 being an airborne shooter.
I misread the OP in the same way.

But I don't think it changes the ruling. Once the ball is out of his hands the try has ended and the ensuing foul is common regardless of the airborne status of the player. They are going after a loose ball and it's essentially the same as if the defender went through the legs of a player trying to catch a pass.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

First, he left the ball without the ball. Had he released a try before jumping, the answer would be the same.

Second, and most importantly, he never released a try. An airborne shooter must be someone who has either released a try, or still has the ball and is attempting to do so. Your player is simply someone who had the ball stolen who then proceeded to jump into the air.
I think you're right that if A1 is in contact with the floor when he's stripped he can't become an airborne shooter. He ceases to be in the act of shooting once he no longer has the ball and is still touching the floor.

However, if he left the floor before the strip, wouldn't he then be an airborne shooter? Or, is a strip sufficiently different from a block that he hasn't released the ball on a try?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

4-1-1: "An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor."

4-23-5b: "Guarding a moving opponent without the ball: The guard must give the opponent the time and/or distance to avoid contact."

By my reading, A1 is not an airborne shooter, as he did not release the ball on a try for goal; the ball was stripped by B2 before A1 was able to release the ball on a try.

However, all Team B players must give A1 time and/or distance to avoid contact. If A1 is caused to fall by a Team B player (as opposed to a Team A player who might dive in an attempt to secure the loose ball), that player is guilty of a common foul.

Also note that since the ball was never in flight on a try for goal, Team A will continue to have team control until a Team B player secures control of the ball or the ball becomes dead. Any common foul committed by a Team A player until that time will be a team-control foul.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see how someone can launch themselves into anyone either. It sounds like an incidental contact at best. Players fall over each other all the time in loose balls and that is what it sounds like.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 attack the rim and goes to shoot a pull up. As he gathers and starts to elevate B2 reaches in and strips the ball on the way up - no contact all ball. A1 continues upward motion of his shot without ball arms flailing (trying to indicate he was hit? - maybe he just likes to flail?) Regardless he's left the floor without the basketball, B2 now dives after the loose ball going through the legs of the jumping player. Multipe other players dive in late. A1 ends up landing awkardly on back as players pile in.

Train wreck, bodies everywhere. No one is hurt or upset just playing hard.

Is the foul on B2 (clippng the player in the air as he chases down the loose ball) a shooting foul? When does it become a shooting foul in this scenario.
Personal foul on B2, award the ball to Team A for a throw in closest point to where the infraction occurred or FTs if over the bonus/penalty limit (FIBA - 2FT on or after the 5th team foul of the quarter).

I don't think it's a question of a foul or not. Incidental contact may or may not be a foul depending on the situation and I truly do appreciate hustle plays as it sounds the OP has described. None the less, however, from this description B2 has disrupted the balance of an airborne A1 causing A1 to fall to the floor and creating a disadvantage. To me that should be a straightforward call with player safety in mind.

The real question is when did A1 become airborne for the try for goal? The wording of "As he gathers and starts to elevate" tells me he was not airborne at the time of the ball being knocked away, therefore not a shooter while A1 was airborne. Awarding Free Throws based on this IMO would be incorrect (unless as previously stated in a bonus/penalty situation.)
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I think you're right that if A1 is in contact with the floor when he's stripped he can't become an airborne shooter. He ceases to be in the act of shooting once he no longer has the ball and is still touching the floor.

However, if he left the floor before the strip, wouldn't he then be an airborne shooter? Or, is a strip sufficiently different from a block that he hasn't released the ball on a try?
It may be a quirk in the rules, but it's clear that an airborne player must be either attempting to release a try or have already released the try in order to be considered an airborne shooter. Even if he had gone airborne prior to having the ball stolen, the fact that he lost the ball prior to releasing a try means he isn't an airborne shooter any longer.

Not any different really, than a shooter who changes his mind and passes the ball.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
Incidental contact may or may not be a foul
????

FIBA might be different, but in NFHS and NCAA, Incidental Contact by definition is NOT a foul.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have been convinced that this could not be a shooting foul. I believe I was reading too much into it. The answer is usually very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
4-1-1: "An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor."
While A1 was attempting a try, he never was an airborne shooter since he never released for try. Ensuing foul by B2 on airborne player (not shooter) A1 would be common foul.

Quote:
I...the fact that he lost the ball prior to releasing a try means he isn't an airborne shooter any longer.
Based on 4-1-1, A1 never became an airborne shooter.

I appreciate the discussion. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 03:15pm
AremRed

Use some common sense, call this a common foul.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I have been convinced that this could not be a shooting foul. I believe I was reading too much into it. The answer is usually very simple.

While A1 was attempting a try, he never was an airborne shooter since he never released for try. Ensuing foul by B2 on airborne player (not shooter) A1 would be common foul.

Based on 4-1-1, A1 never became an airborne shooter.

I appreciate the discussion. Thanks to all who have contributed.
I think you're right with regard to the OP.

If, however, a player leaves the floor in an apparent attempt to shoot and gets stripped of the ball before he releases the try, then I think he was an airborne shooter briefly. Not that it matters, though. If he'd been fouled before the ball was stripped, this discussion wouldn't have happened.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try. He didn't, so he isn't.

I agree he is still allowed a place to land.

Call a common foul.
Excellent explanation. If the ball is stripped or knocked out of the shooter's hands by a defender before he is able to release the try, then team control continues as there never was a try in flight. There is an NFHS Interp on this from about 2005.

Edit: Here is the Interp.
2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 5: At the top of the key, A1 beats B1 off the dribble, reaches the free-throw line, and pulls up for a jump shot. At the apex of the jump and before the ball is released, B2 comes from the side and swats the ball out of A1’s hands. The ball goes behind A1, deflects off A2 and into the backcourt, where A3 is the first to touch it. RULING: A backcourt violation shall be called. Team control had continued for Team A because the try ended before the ball was in flight. (4-12-3a; 4-40-3,4; 9-9-1)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Jan 24, 2015 at 04:28am.