LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing and a T for taunt
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I assume that you know who Peter Webb is. Peter Webb would ask you the very same question. A no call implies that there was an infraction of the rules but the officials decided not to call it.

Therefore why did not feel that there was no infraction by either the offensive player or the defensive player.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, to the rest of us, a "no call" means there's nothing to call.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not looking to whack players, but I make a point to keep a close eye on a player just after and on the trip down the floor after he completes a monster dunk. That kind of taunt is step one towards a bigger problem I might have to deal with.

Yup, Yup,Yup
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Mark, to the rest of us, a "no call" means there's nothing to call.
Since we seem to be really into semantics on this thread....

"Therefore, how can there not be a whistle and a foul: either a PC by the dunker or a block by the defender? And there was contact between the two players involved."

I didn't know contact by definition was a foul?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There is no such thing as a no call either you judged that there was an infraction of the rules or there was an infraction of the rules.

Therefore, why did you decide that there was no infraction of the rules by either the offensive the player or the defensive player?

MTD, Sr.
When someone posts a play to be reviewed, you either have a call or a no-call on subject play.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 02:49pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
A no call implies that there was an infraction of the rules but the officials decided not to call it.
No … that is a missed call.

A “no call” in officiating vernacular means “I don’t have a call on that play” … or, in a way you might prefer, “I judged that there was not an infraction of the rules”

This is pretty much accepted by everyone.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm much more concerned about the blatant taunt that was not penalized than I am about the possibility of a PC foul. That was as obvious as it gets, and three officials missed it. No excuse for that IMO. We would get blasted in South Carolina if we didn't call that.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Good discussion

The taunting T is easy, and we all seem to agree.

I'm surprised that so many would no call on the dunk. If I had a knee hit the left side of my face, I'd jerk to the right, too. I've watched several times, and I just can't see passing on PC.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
The taunting T is easy, and we all seem to agree.

I'm surprised that so many would no call on the dunk. If I had a knee hit the left side of my face, I'd jerk to the right, too. I've watched several times, and I just can't see passing on PC.
Watch again
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Every year at our NFHS interps meeting I ask this question: "when will the NFHS implement a Restricted Area semi-circle marking under the basket on the floor of highschool gymnasia? Like they have in college and nba?"

And, each year I get the canned response from whomever is leading the discussion: "we don't need one because our refs have good judgement."

In this present video case the officials would have been greatly aided by having such a reference marking on the floor. It appeared that the defender established LGP far enough from the front end of the rim (i.e., was not under the rim). Although spectacular, the dunk was a charge. I call "charge", then "taunting" T--as the taunt was egregious.
Why would that matter? Distance form the rim should be no part of deciding if this play is or is not a charge or block in a HS game. If you are basing your calls in a HS on where the defender is you are getting many of those calls wrong.

If you're working NCAA or NBA games, then the location does matter. But, you have the markings there too.

You can't call HS games by NCAA rules and be right when the rules are different.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Similar event

I had a play like this that happened to me last week. I called an offensive foul because I saw contact but didn't see where the contact occurred. My partner, who is a veteran official and was trail, asked me after the game what I saw. He asked me what I could have done better. I told him I should have cut into the paint to get a better angle and he agreed.

I recently got film on that game and reviewed it, specifically that call. If I was in a better position, I wouldn't have called the foul. In this situation, the official was in position, saw that the defender flopped had no foul.

I would also have called a technical for taunting.