The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 10:43am
Often wrong never n doubt

T or no?

Last night 2 man VG game I am T. Ball is in the corner behind the three point line. H1 is defending man to man. V1 rips ball through while H1 is attempting to knock it away. H1 contacts the arm of V1 knocking the ball loose. There was even the nice sound of skin contact. Easy no brainer call. I'll make it 100/100 times if I see and hear it the same way. I whistle the foul. As I'm reporting it the H coach is saying loudly but not yelling "what did she do?" in an agitated tone. I explain what I had in which time he said "that's terrible" I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Never say "What?" to a coach. If you didn't hear what they said, move on. If you did hear what they said, address it as you feel appropriate.

But don't have them repeat what they said.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Last night 2 man VG game I am T. Ball is in the corner behind the three point line. H1 is defending man to man. V1 rips ball through while H1 is attempting to knock it away. H1 contacts the arm of V1 knocking the ball loose. There was even the nice sound of skin contact. Easy no brainer call. I'll make it 100/100 times if I see and hear it the same way. I whistle the foul. As I'm reporting it the H coach is saying loudly but not yelling "what did she do?" in an agitated tone. I explain what I had in which time he said "that's terrible" I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?
Not a T the first time he said it and definitely not after you asked him to repeat it.

Coach didn't like your call, expressed his opinion without getting personal, if that was the end of it, move on.

I'm curious why you asked him what he said the first time....
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"that's terrible" isn't going to get anything from me the first time, and I'm not asking him to repeat it. If you do ask him to repeat it, and he does, you'd be hard pressed to justify the T, IMO.

If you feel you need to address it, then give him a warning, but I can't see doing it here.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Bad practice to T on a repeat. Having said that, I have a low tolerance for a complaint on a call that seems as obvious as you make yours out to be. That's a way to get your rope shortened, in my book.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Usually saying "that's terrible" once or twice I won't react. If it happens a third time I make it clear that I got his opinion and that he should move on to another topic. Now if he keeps on it's usually a T, especially if I can hear him complain about the foul and I'm some distance away.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?
Were you asking "What did you say?" or "What was terrible?"

I agree with the comments on the former.

The latter *can* be used as a means of addressing the comment.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 11:46am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Were you asking "What did you say?" or "What was terrible?"

I agree with the comments on the former.

The latter *can* be used as a means of addressing the comment.
I was asking "what was terrible?"
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 12:23pm
#thereferee99

That is a terrible call.

is ok. You are a terrible ref, not so much. If I don't hear the latter, we are moving on.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was asking "what was terrible?"
I agree with others and the general rule of "ignore comments, address questions" can be applied here. I don't see the point of asking, "what was terrible?" in that situation and if all you said was "what" as you indicated in the OP then the coach likely took that as an invitation to repeat what he said, which again has no upside for you.

In this situation, I'm likely using some form of body language to indicate to the coach that I've had enough or even whatever words work for you to quickly address the coach verbally. I'm then getting some space between me and the coach. If he continues or his behavior escalates then do what you have to do.

But my experience in these situations is that its best to either ignore such a comment or quickly address it and get away. A T doesnt sound warranted from what I take from your account of the situation and starting any dialogue with a coach with the word "what" rarely results in anything good unless it's "what do you want, full or 30."
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 05:25pm
Back from the DL

"That's terrible" = nothing.
"You're terrible" = T
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 05:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Coach: "That's terrible".
Me: "You're right coach. What your player did was terrible. I'm glad we agree on this."
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner

Did he say it like this?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2015, 12:11am
AremRed

Personally I address "that's terrible". I tell the coach that he can ask me questions but I don't want to hear his criticism all night. If he says it again I whack him.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2015, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Personally I address "that's terrible". I tell the coach that he can ask me questions but I don't want to hear his criticism all night. If he says it again I whack him.
In those situations I will tell a coach "you asked a question and I answered it."