The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T or no? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99072-t-no.html)

jeremy341a Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:43am

T or no?

Last night 2 man VG game I am T. Ball is in the corner behind the three point line. H1 is defending man to man. V1 rips ball through while H1 is attempting to knock it away. H1 contacts the arm of V1 knocking the ball loose. There was even the nice sound of skin contact. Easy no brainer call. I'll make it 100/100 times if I see and hear it the same way. I whistle the foul. As I'm reporting it the H coach is saying loudly but not yelling "what did she do?" in an agitated tone. I explain what I had in which time he said "that's terrible" I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?

Raymond Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51am

Never say "What?" to a coach. If you didn't hear what they said, move on. If you did hear what they said, address it as you feel appropriate.

But don't have them repeat what they said.

Andy Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 950575)
Last night 2 man VG game I am T. Ball is in the corner behind the three point line. H1 is defending man to man. V1 rips ball through while H1 is attempting to knock it away. H1 contacts the arm of V1 knocking the ball loose. There was even the nice sound of skin contact. Easy no brainer call. I'll make it 100/100 times if I see and hear it the same way. I whistle the foul. As I'm reporting it the H coach is saying loudly but not yelling "what did she do?" in an agitated tone. I explain what I had in which time he said "that's terrible" I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?

Not a T the first time he said it and definitely not after you asked him to repeat it.

Coach didn't like your call, expressed his opinion without getting personal, if that was the end of it, move on.

I'm curious why you asked him what he said the first time....

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:01am

Quote:

"that's terrible" isn't going to get anything from me the first time, and I'm not asking him to repeat it. If you do ask him to repeat it, and he does, you'd be hard pressed to justify the T, IMO.

If you feel you need to address it, then give him a warning, but I can't see doing it here.

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:09am

Bad practice to T on a repeat. Having said that, I have a low tolerance for a complaint on a call that seems as obvious as you make yours out to be. That's a way to get your rope shortened, in my book.

deecee Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11am

Usually saying "that's terrible" once or twice I won't react. If it happens a third time I make it clear that I got his opinion and that he should move on to another topic. Now if he keeps on it's usually a T, especially if I can hear him complain about the foul and I'm some distance away.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19am

Quote:

I asked "What" and he replied fairly loud "that's terrible." T or no?

Were you asking "What did you say?" or "What was terrible?"

I agree with the comments on the former.

The latter *can* be used as a means of addressing the comment.

jeremy341a Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 950592)
Were you asking "What did you say?" or "What was terrible?"

I agree with the comments on the former.

The latter *can* be used as a means of addressing the comment.

I was asking "what was terrible?"

referee99 Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23pm

That is a terrible call.

is ok. You are a terrible ref, not so much. If I don't hear the latter, we are moving on.

VaTerp Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 950599)
I was asking "what was terrible?"

I agree with others and the general rule of "ignore comments, address questions" can be applied here. I don't see the point of asking, "what was terrible?" in that situation and if all you said was "what" as you indicated in the OP then the coach likely took that as an invitation to repeat what he said, which again has no upside for you.

In this situation, I'm likely using some form of body language to indicate to the coach that I've had enough or even whatever words work for you to quickly address the coach verbally. I'm then getting some space between me and the coach. If he continues or his behavior escalates then do what you have to do.

But my experience in these situations is that its best to either ignore such a comment or quickly address it and get away. A T doesnt sound warranted from what I take from your account of the situation and starting any dialogue with a coach with the word "what" rarely results in anything good unless it's "what do you want, full or 30."

bainsey Fri Jan 16, 2015 05:25pm

"That's terrible" = nothing.
"You're terrible" = T

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 16, 2015 05:47pm

Coach: "That's terrible".
Me: "You're right coach. What your player did was terrible. I'm glad we agree on this."

BoomerSooner Fri Jan 16, 2015 05:49pm

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/09/094d7...671d4fc057.jpg

Did he say it like this?

AremRed Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:11am

Personally I address "that's terrible". I tell the coach that he can ask me questions but I don't want to hear his criticism all night. If he says it again I whack him.

Raymond Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 950675)
Personally I address "that's terrible". I tell the coach that he can ask me questions but I don't want to hear his criticism all night. If he says it again I whack him.

In those situations I will tell a coach "you asked a question and I answered it."