The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 06:04pm
Back from the DL

Transitional Fast Break Coverage

JV boys, two man crew, I'm the R. In pre-game, I tell my partner that the T may want to rule on any contact on a fast break, as the L can sometimes get caught in an awkward angle. He agreed.

Second quarter, H-1 gets a steal, and we're off, one on one with V-2. The play goes to the right side of the lane, opposite of me, and I get to the endline. H-1 attempts a layup and flies out of bounds awkwardly. I'm at the worst possible angle, and not sure whether V-2 caused it. I can only award the ball to V for the BCELTI.

At the time, my partner is back by the H bench, answering a question about the play. The body language reads, "you'll have to ask HIM, Coach." When the coach asks me, I own up, "I had a horrible angle on that, Coach. I apologize." He accepted it and moved on.

At halftime, when I asked my partner whether I kicked that one, he said I did, but he "wasn't going to take that one from back there."

What's the best preventative medicine for this? How far back should a T take such a call? Should an L concern himself more about "seeing the space" than getting to the end line? Any other thoughts?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes stopping short of the end line is a good idea on these plays if your caught behind the play. Or get as deep behind the line as you can if your ahead of the play
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
What's the best preventative medicine for this? How far back should a T take such a call? Should an L concern himself more about "seeing the space" than getting to the end line? Any other thoughts?
I'd say that anywhere in the backcourt is probably too far for the T to come help on a fast break play at the basket.

As L, you should stop to see the play and forget about getting to the endline.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd say that anywhere in the backcourt is probably too far for the T to come help on a fast break play at the basket.

As L, you should stop to see the play and forget about getting to the endline.
Yup. The players don't get any older, but we do. We have to accept that we're going to get beat from time to time.

So....when you know you're beat, use the "button hook" maneuver. Move briefly toward the elbow and pause to see the space as the shooter goes up for the layup, pull-up jumper or dunk. You'll get a good in-between look from there. Then immediately complete the move to the end line, where you'll be ready to officiate additional action as the other players catch up.

The pause is very short (like half a second). Just enough to see and then get back. This is for 2-p. In 3-p, just get there cuz C will (should) have your back.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 08:36pm
In Time Out

I always like when the PGs take the ball up the court because they know that you pretty much go up the middle. I had an awkward play today when this PF stole the ball. I'm the lead and I'm back and watching these post player jostle a bit for position, but then the PF goes from the middle away from the trail to my lead side on the sideline. I have to move over and watch the sideline and the trail is far away from the play. It happened so quick, any PG worth his grain of salt would never do that. So the PF is getting trapped on the side just outside the FT line extended three point area. Those plays can be tough to ref. Trail is watching the ball but then I start to take it as it drops and I have to hustle over to see the sideline. But it leaves this big blind spot for the rest of the court. If there had been a call from the trail it would have meant he called it from a good distance away. Two defenders doing the trap, the one on top I don't really have an angle for.
But in the end it worked out...for the defense. They stole the ball right in front off the offensive team's coach who didn't say anything and nothing off-ball happened.

Last edited by mutantducky; Sat Jan 10, 2015 at 08:41pm.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In pre-game, I tell my partner that the T may want to rule on any contact on a fast break, as the L can sometimes get caught in an awkward angle. He agreed.
Personally I don't like this as a pregame statement. While having a bad angle is always a possibility (especially in 2 man), I actually think the opposite is more likely (i.e. T is stuck in the backcourt on a fast break play and needs help from the L in transition). I prefer to just make a generic statement to try and be in position to help each other out in transition.

If I'm beat down the court (in 2 man) as the new lead, I'm assuming that my partner is even more beat down the court than I am and that I have the play the whole way. I will work to find the best angle, even if it takes me a bit out of a normal position. 3-man is different ... I'd continue to the end line as I would assume the C should be in position to help.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 08:58pm
In Time Out

I agree. On transition plays sometimes the lead can see things that the trail cannot. Yes, this can lead to calls when the lead is making a call out of his primary. Steal, fast break with new lead moving back toward the endline. The lead sees a double dribble. Trail is behind and may not have been able to see it. The play is near the free though line so the lead is a good distance away. I'd rather have the trail get it but if he doesn't I do have any issue with a partner making that call as the lead.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

From my perspective... The new lead always has transition/fast break at the basket. Any coverage by new Trail is secondary. ... If trail has coverage on this who is watching the other players. We don't give up on ball off ball coverage in transition.

This is where refereeing the defense is important and makes the pay easy. You know where the player with the ball is going. Know what the defense does, where they are, how they get there...

I was taught if you are fast enough and the break is going down the opposite side of the court, get to baseline and cut across strong side...

Don't make the fast break difficult... Most of the time it's a one on one play going to basket... Referee the defense
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 01:55am
AremRed

This is a play you gotta guess on. I do it all the time when working 2 person. You have a terrible view across the lane on a fast break as Lead. Watch where the ball goes and watch what the offensive players body does and make an educated guess. Some Trails will have the balls to get something like that from half court, some won't.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This is a play you gotta guess on.
Really? I always thought the rule was "you can't call what you can't see" -- guessing can make for some horrific calls. I'm curious what others think about the idea of guessing there was a foul?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:17pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
So....when you know you're beat, use the "button hook" maneuver. Move briefly toward the elbow and pause to see the space as the shooter goes up for the layup, pull-up jumper or dunk. You'll get a good in-between look from there. Then immediately complete the move to the end line, where you'll be ready to officiate additional action as the other players catch up...
Never heard of this maneuver before. Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never heard of this maneuver before. Thanks!
I think I first read it in the CBOA officials manual. Which makes sense, because California is utterly enamored with 2-person crews.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 02:12pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Really? I always thought the rule was "you can't call what you can't see" -- guessing can make for some horrific calls. I'm curious what others think about the idea of guessing there was a foul?
I don't mean a wild guess, I mean more of a calculated guess. When you don't have a great angle and your partner can't/won't help there are certain circumstances in which you need to run that calculation.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

So....when you know you're beat, use the "button hook" maneuver. Move briefly toward the elbow and pause to see the space as the shooter goes up for the layup, pull-up jumper or dunk. You'll get a good in-between look from there. Then immediately complete the move to the end line, where you'll be ready to officiate additional action as the other players catch up.
It takes some skill / experience /luck to get the buttonhook at the right spot. No matter where you do it, the player can go the other way and you end up straightlined.

Still a good technique.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 05:54pm
Stubborn Member

We were taught on a fast break, when I shot\play is about to go up to stop running. Running can make it difficult to clearly see the play and call it correctly.