View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 06:04pm
Back from the DL

Transitional Fast Break Coverage

JV boys, two man crew, I'm the R. In pre-game, I tell my partner that the T may want to rule on any contact on a fast break, as the L can sometimes get caught in an awkward angle. He agreed.

Second quarter, H-1 gets a steal, and we're off, one on one with V-2. The play goes to the right side of the lane, opposite of me, and I get to the endline. H-1 attempts a layup and flies out of bounds awkwardly. I'm at the worst possible angle, and not sure whether V-2 caused it. I can only award the ball to V for the BCELTI.

At the time, my partner is back by the H bench, answering a question about the play. The body language reads, "you'll have to ask HIM, Coach." When the coach asks me, I own up, "I had a horrible angle on that, Coach. I apologize." He accepted it and moved on.

At halftime, when I asked my partner whether I kicked that one, he said I did, but he "wasn't going to take that one from back there."

What's the best preventative medicine for this? How far back should a T take such a call? Should an L concern himself more about "seeing the space" than getting to the end line? Any other thoughts?