The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

HC won't come to captains/coaches meeting

Any of you guys ever have a varsity head coach refuse to come to the captains/coaches meeting? Obviously had a bug up his butt about something, but not doing many of his games, I didn't know the story. He sent his assistant.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Any of you guys ever have a varsity head coach refuse to come to the captains/coaches meeting? Obviously had a bug up his butt about something, but not doing many of his games, I didn't know the story. He sent his assistant.
A few years ago, we had that issue with a few head coaches in our area. Our organization contacted the powers that be for the school system (those responsible for the coaches). They directed the head coaches to attend or else ...
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
A few years ago, we had that issue with a few head coaches in our area. Our organization contacted the powers that be for the school system (those responsible for the coaches). They directed the head coaches to attend or else ...
Frankly if I were a coach I wouldn't want to hear the same old thing every night, either.

So locally, we meet with the captains at around 6:00, then go over to the benches at around 2:00 for a handshake and a few words with the coaches. Works well when we go to their "turf". We make sure to be done by 1:00 so we don't interfere with their final instructions to the team before the intros/anthem/tip.

I understand in some states a formal meeting is required, sometimes even with a required sportsmanship speech read off a card. If so, c'est la vie.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Frankly if I were a coach I wouldn't want to hear the same old thing every night, either.

So locally, we meet with the captains at around 6:00, then go over to the benches at around 2:00 for a handshake and a few words with the coaches. Works well when we go to their "turf". We make sure to be done by 1:00 so we don't interfere with their final instructions to the team before the intros/anthem/tip.

I understand in some states a formal meeting is required, sometimes even with a required sportsmanship speech read off a card. If so, c'est la vie.
We do a similar thing here. I really like doing it separately, I think it gives a little bit of ownership to the captains
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post

What state are you in? OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA has no such requirement.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I wouldn't want the coaches to hear what I tell the Captains in the Captains' Meeting: "That the Captains are the ones in charge of the their respective teams including Bench Personnel." Meaning I will be coming to them first, where practical, to take care of problems. From a historical perspective Coaches were and after thought in the Rules and Captains, many times, are a bigger help at solving problems than Coaches, especially when ending Timeouts.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Jan 08, 2015 at 11:41pm. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:21am
Back from the DL

Head coach is required at the coaches'/captains' meetings. I don't know of any consequence if a coach refuses, except maybe for, "Coach, this game won't start until you join us."
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:23am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Head coach is required at the coaches'/captains' meetings. I don't know of any consequence if a coach refuses, except maybe for, "Coach, this game won't start until you join us."

Bainsey:

Is the presence required in the State of Maine?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:44am
Courageous When Prudent

We walk to the benches at some point around or after the 2:00 mark before the game. If there are not there, oh well. Our captain's meeting is held at center court, usually around the 12:00 mark.

Years ago, when I got my first game as a BV crew chief, the home team coach hung out at the far end of the bench when we approached. He didn't come up to meet us so I started my "coach's box, full or 30 time-out" spiel to the assistants. He came up quickly and stated emphatically that he was the HC. I responded by saying "you weren't here, so I spoke to who was available". To this day he still is on my list of coaches I really don't like b/c he is always an a-hole to newer guys working his games.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 09, 2015 at 12:49am.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:50am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Is the presence required in the State of Maine?
It's been a few years since we were told this, but if I recall correctly, our instructions stated the head coach is required at those pre-game meetings.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 03:40am
Do not give a damn!!

It is required in our state for IHSA contests the HC must attend. If they do not attend they can be written up by an official with a Special Report.

This happen to me and my partners years ago, the coach got a phone call from the IHSA Basketball Administrator the very next school day. Our state takes this seriously.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Mark, I am in Alabama. It seems to me one of the main reasons for the meeting is to identify the head coaches. I can understand getting tired of the same old spiel, but it sets the tone of sportsmanship and professionality for the game and can only be construed as disrespectful to the officials and the opposing HC.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I wouldn't want the coaches to hear what I tell the Captains in the Captains' Meeting: "That the Captains are the ones in charge of the their respective teams including Bench Personnel." Meaning I will be coming to them first, where practical, to take care of problems. From a historical perspective Coaches were and after thought in the Rules and Captains, many times, are a bigger help at solving problems than Coaches, especially when ending Timeouts.
Historically, we're not working in 1955. Now, the coaches are in charge.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Historically, we're not working in 1955. Now, the coaches are in charge.
This.

We get the captains at 12:00. By 11:30, I'm on my way to the table.

We start walking over to the visiting coach about 1:45. No formal coaches meeting here other than asking if their players are legally attired/equipped.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Kansas:
PRE-GAME CONFERENCE WITH COACHES, PLAYERS & OFFICIALS
Prior to each game starting the officials, coaches and captains are to meet for a pre-game conference. ... The KSHSAA recommends using a single conference pre-game. At approximately the 10:00 mark the other officials will go across the floor to join the referee and greet the coaches. The referee goes to the area in front of the score table and the U1 and U2 get the respective coaches and captains. After introductions the referee will conduct a pre-game conference discussing legal equipment, sporting behavior and addressing other questions.

Missouri:
H. Pre-Game Conference: Officials shall conduct a pre-game conference before each contest at center court
which the head coach of both teams (not a representative of the head coach), each team’s captains, and all the
officials much attend to discuss sportsmanship, game procedures, etc.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No formal coaches meeting here other than asking if their players are legally attired/equipped.

I have pretty much discontinued this. If they are illegally equipped, such as a weird color undershirt or whatever, then there is not penalty for the head coach, even if he says yes, and regardless of their answer I'm sending the player out of the game to fix the problem.