The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Saving a Ball Going Out of Bounds

During a Rebound A1 goes after a loose ball towards the end line , saves the ball and lands out of bounds , A1 returns back in bounds secures the ball , dribbles and scores a 3 point shot .

legal or not
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 04:29pm
TODO: creative title here

Ask yourself: did A1 have inbounds our out-of-bounds status when she secured the ball?

What is required to have in-bounds status?

If you have in-bounds status, what can she do? If she has out-of-bounds status, what happens when she touches the ball?

Answer these fundamental questions, and you will know the answer to your question.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
During a Rebound A1 goes after a loose ball towards the end line , saves the ball and lands out of bounds , A1 returns back in bounds secures the ball , dribbles and scores a 3 point shot .

legal or not
Depends on HOW he "saves the ball." if he grabs it and throws it to floor or controls it enough then the "save" is a dribble. when he comes back in bounds and secures it a dribble is over. when he dribbles again it is double dribble. (if he grabbed ball for save, jumps in air and gets both feet off floor, then throws ball in he couldn't be first to touch it---that would be starting dribble with pivot foot off floor)

if he just bats ball wildly on the save--not a dribble, then comes back in bounds, secures it, dribbles and scores it is ok. you can leave the floor in federation if momentum carries you out, reenter and be first to touch ball.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Jan 06, 2015 at 04:35pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 07:42pm
In Time Out

not sure about this. I think he could get it but maybe I'm misreading it.

if he grabbed ball for save, jumps in air and gets both feet off floor, then throws ball in he couldn't be first to touch it---that would be starting dribble with pivot foot off floor)

How about, he saves the ball. Then jumps from out of bounds and touches the ball first before contacting inbounds?

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Jan 06, 2015 at 07:45pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

if he grabbed ball for save, jumps in air and gets both feet off floor, then throws ball in he couldn't be first to touch it---that would be starting dribble with pivot foot off floor)

How about, he saves the ball. Then jumps from out of bounds and touches the ball first before contacting inbounds?
A. Traveling violation as BigCat has already written.
B. Out of bounds violation.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

In part u quoted I'm talking about player saving ball w a foot on floor. Momentum causes him jump in air and while both feet off floor he throws it back to court. If he is first to go touch it after returning inbounds that is starting dribble w foot off floor. Violation.
In your question player is still out of bounds until foot touches inbounds. I'm talking about illegal dribble stuff more than inbounds v out of bounds status...