The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Coach refuses to shake hands

What would you do if a coach shook hands with opposing captain and coach, but refused to shake your hand in the coaches/captains meeting before tip-off? I was involved in a previous game that did not end well for him.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Ignore it. Work the game as you would any other.

Be the bigger man.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 09:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Well, for that game, that's one HC who's not get any questions answered nor allowed any leeway if he steps outside the box and makes any type of comments.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 14, 2014 at 12:01pm.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Post Sportsmanship

I guess he can't truthfully answer the "we can expect good sportsmanship from everyone" question.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 11:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unfriend Him On Facebook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ignore it. Work the game as you would any other. Be the bigger man.
Agree 100%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 14, 2014 at 11:09am.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 11:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Tell him I refuse to answer any questions because of his display when he is asking a question and move on. Then see how all that works out for him.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

I may not explicitly say this to the coach, but that would end my communication for the game. And the rope would be really, really short.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

No change

Do nothing different. If he wants to hold a grudge over a basketball game and behave immaturely then its on him. I'll call the game the same either way. Be professional, answer questions, make calls, and interact with him and his team just like you would if you had never met before. I also use this same philosophy when I have a coach or team that is "rumored" to be difficult. I may be more aware but I won't go in looking for problems.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Do nothing different. If he wants to hold a grudge over a basketball game and behave immaturely then its on him. I'll call the game the same either way. Be professional, answer questions, make calls, and interact with him and his team just like you would if you had never met before. I also use this same philosophy when I have a coach or team that is "rumored" to be difficult. I may be more aware but I won't go in looking for problems.
You can be professional and tell a coach "what's up." They just decided to do something much earlier. I would not disrespect a coach, but he certainly would know why I feel the way I do. He would have to apologize, but I would not just not talk to a coach and he not know why. That is the ultimate disrespect to refuse to shake someone's hand and do so publicly. If this was any other profession, I would stop doing business with them or report it to them to the higher ups. I just have to deal with them for at most a couple of hours and then I go home. Coaches need to know their behavior has consequences.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consequences ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... report it to the higher ups.
Good idea. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, the procedure would be to report the situation to our assigner, who would contact the school's athletic director.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

I would do nothing at the time, but keep it in the back of my head that he may become problematic.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The game started with a clean slate. The coach decided to be a prick, and it doesn't matter to me whether he did it at the coach's meeting or after the first foul call against his team. His actions for this game have determined the level of courtesy he will be given, which is pretty much nil. Obviously, it isn't going to affect how I'm going to call the game; but he's made it clear he isn't going to work with me if I need help dealing with a player or his bench. That's fine, I can go straight to the tools provided in the book.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 03:25pm
Never Stop Learning

Is this what officiating is about? Being vindictive. Work the game like any other and keep your emotions aside. We have to be bigger then that. Report and move on.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 04:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Is this what officiating is about? Being vindictive. Work the game like any other and keep your emotions aside. We have to be bigger then that. Report and move on.
It's not vindictive. A coach decided he didn't wish to have a professional relationship. That's OK, but that just means I won't go out of my way to communicate with him.

Actually, I would be surprised at such behavior. Never had a coach act this way before a game.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2014, 06:41pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's not vindictive. A coach decided he didn't wish to have a professional relationship. That's OK, but that just means I won't go out of my way to communicate with him.

Actually, I would be surprised at such behavior. Never had a coach act this way before a game.
I've had it happen a couple of times, although it was either a) youth wreck ball (back when I used to work youth wreck ball) or b) a JV game. Never happened at the varsity level.

Of course, in the case of the JV game, that coach had been served T in the two prior games I'd worked for his team (once by me, once by my partner). In the 3rd game, he opened the pregame conference with "Oh, it's you again" in a tone that basically said "I'm gonna get a T in this game also". And he did not disappoint. He also did not return as coach the following season.