The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

started a dribble?

I'll describe this thing as well as I can. Its something I see a few times during the year, but rarely see it called. Usually I see it in a varsity boys or JV boys game with very good players with quick hands.

A1 is holding the ball in a crowd but has it stripped, creating a loose ball. A1 tries to regain possession, but B1 swats the ball two quick times in his attempt to gain possession, each time with the ball bouncing on the floor. B1 then grasps the ball with both hands and begins to dribble toward his basket. I may be way off, but it seems our more seasoned officials will give B1 a pass for action during the scrum, not deeming the two swats as dribbles. How can this be justified?
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

ART. 1

A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player's own backboard.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

There is (or was; I forget whether it's still in there) some clause the the effect that "it is not a dribble when a player is batting the ball away from opponents"
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There is (or was; I forget whether it's still in there) some clause the the effect that "it is not a dribble when a player is batting the ball away from opponents"
The statement is found in the NFHS Case Book 4.15 COMMENT . . . "A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions. . ."
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
I may be way off, but it seems our more seasoned officials will give B1 a pass for action during the scrum, not deeming the two swats as dribbles. How can this be justified?
It pays to watch the seasoned officials. They aren't always right, of course, but here they are.

Rob1968 already provided the rule reference.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 12:16pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
I'll describe this thing as well as I can. Its something I see a few times during the year, but rarely see it called. Usually I see it in a varsity boys or JV boys game with very good players with quick hands.

A1 is holding the ball in a crowd but has it stripped, creating a loose ball. A1 tries to regain possession, but B1 swats the ball two quick times in his attempt to gain possession, each time with the ball bouncing on the floor. B1 then grasps the ball with both hands and begins to dribble toward his basket. I may be way off, but it seems our more seasoned officials will give B1 a pass for action during the scrum, not deeming the two swats as dribbles. How can this be justified?
The key in the rules is control; I'm not gonna consider the player to be in control until he grasps the ball with both hands and then begins a dribble.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 03:44pm
Often wrong never n doubt

What if there is a pass a player can't reach with both hands so the purposefully slap the ball down then catch it after a bounce. I have been considering thus a dribble. Would this not be because the haven't controlled the ball. I am not talking about a fumble.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 04:01pm
We don't rent pigs

A good test for what is control, which has often been mentioned here, is if, during this random batting of the ball, the coach asked for timeout, would you give it to him?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
What if there is a pass a player can't reach with both hands so the purposefully slap the ball down then catch it after a bounce. I have been considering thus a dribble. Would this not be because the haven't controlled the ball. I am not talking about a fumble.
This is judgment, and it's not always black and white. If it's just a quick slap of the ball down and he catches it immediately, it's not likely a dribble in my game. You could judge it different, though.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Usually (93.5%) this is NOT a dribble -- despite all the players / coaches / fans who immediately scream "dead, dead, dead ..."
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The key in the rules is control; I'm not gonna consider the player to be in control until he grasps the ball with both hands and then begins a dribble.
Please, remember that it is possible, to hold/control the ball with one hand. And 4-12-1 makes no rule stipulation that holding a live ball must be with both hands.

(I often catch the ball and hold it with one hand when a player passes it to me, to administer a throw-in, or free throw.)
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 02:33am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Please, remember that it is possible, to hold/control the ball with one hand. And 4-12-1 makes no rule stipulation that holding a live ball must be with both hands.

(I often catch the ball and hold it with one hand when a player passes it to me, to administer a throw-in, or free throw.)
I was referencing the OP where as described were two non-controlled slaps at the ball followed by gathering with two hands and starting a dribble. Obviously you can have control and dribble in other situations with just one hand.