Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I get my wife, neighbours, and co-workers to help me out by taking a bit of time each day to heap criticism and verbal abuse on me.
"Hey, I came in 'ere for an argument!!"

"Oh, sorry. Arguments are down the hall. This is abuse."

Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, my serious reply. The best preparation for the upcoming season that I've found is summer camps. Invariably, I pick up numerous things that help me in the regular season.

It's kind of late to schedule camps for this summer, tho. So if you didn't do that, then I'd say the best preparation would be:

1) Rules study (including the changes, obviously)
2) Conditioning
3) Scrimmages

In that order. Just my opinion.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I've seen the new diet vanilla coke, but not this tofu and bean sprout thing. Is it any good?
The Vanilla Coke would be great. . .if they just left out the Vanilla. Bleh

I don't do tofu.
You're kidding, right? The vanilla is the only thing that makes the cough-syrupy taste of Coke palatable.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Are you in shape

A physical may be in order. In off season, I do a lot of aerobic excercise. Keeps the heart rate up which is what you need during a game.

I like to look at the rule changes, read the new books cover to cover and talk with others about the changes. This forum is pretty good for that most of the time. You'd be surprised the officials you work with that don't keep up with the changes, so it reinforces your understanding and you provide a service to your fellows.

Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
BTW, you guys, quit knocking tofu! It's actually pretty good!
I'm actually a tofu and sprouts fan, myself. I'll take some good fresh tofu over a beefsteak any day of the week. I also like tempeh, but I don't expect you guys even know what that is. Unless you served in the military in Indonesia.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
BTW, you guys, quit knocking tofu! It's actually pretty good!
I'm actually a tofu and sprouts fan, myself. I'll take some good fresh tofu over a beefsteak any day of the week. I also like tempeh, but I don't expect you guys even know what that is. Unless you served in the military in Indonesia.
My wife has a hot tempeh all the time. I constatly tell her, "don't yell at me, you need to control your tempeh".
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:33am
Huck Finn

Are you guys kidding about looking in your bag to see if you need any equipment? I hope so. Why would you keep all of your equipment in your bag during the year? I have quite a few uniforms and I know what condition everything I have is in without looking.
Seriously, in most places right now is the only dead time of the year for basketball. I used to be in Southern Nevada and the beginning of the school year was our time to rest before the season.
I would suggest getting a grasp on the things you can control. What I mean is everytime we step on the court there are a million things that could happen that night. We have to be able to handle these situations so I'm of the opinion that we should control the things that we can control ahead of time so we aren't worried about them on the court. These things include:
1. Know the rules. If it is in black and white you can stand on it.
2. Be in shape and warm up good. You can't officiate the plays if you can't get in the right position.
3. Make sure you look good in your uniform. The impression you make when you step out of the locker room is important. If you don't look good people will think you can't work.
4. Get in front of the mirror and go over mechanics. I'm of the opinion that a perfect mechanic in front of the mirror turns into a good mechanic in the heat of a game. A good mechanic in front of the mirror is an OK mechanic in a game. It goes down hill from here. Once again, if you look sharp you look like you know what you are doing.
5. Talk to or get a friend that loves this game.
6. Look at your shoes. Shoes wear out on the inside way before we retire them. If you are attached to a certain shoe then buy more than one pair. During a season our feet are very important!
7. Get ready for some serious fun! I don't think there is a successful official who doesn't have fun doing this. It is a beautiful game.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2003, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'll take some good fresh tofu over a beefsteak any day of the week. I also like tempeh, but I don't expect you guys even know what that is. Unless you served in the military in Indonesia.
Don't know about turning down a grilled ribeye for tofu, but tofu would be great stirfried with some veggies to go on the side!

As for tempeh, it's very good (I love the texture and hearty flavour), although sometimes hard to get. Those thin sheets of dried bean curd, or the fried tofu puffs might be good substitutes in a pinch, I guess.

I can hardly see Padgett's response to this one. Maybe we should start talking about FRENCH cuisine, to really get him going.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone tell me what tempeh is?
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Do not ask me what a Rhizopus is.

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Can someone tell me what tempeh is?
An Asian food prepared by fermenting soybeans with a rhizopus?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds uh uh good, I guess...Besides myself & JR does anybody have a clue what Rhizopus is?
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rhizopus is a part of the slime mold family. The soybeans are innoculated with the mold, and then pressed. The mold grows between the beans and the whole thing forms into flat cakes. I know it sounds gross, but it's quite tasty, if not over-"grown", and it's extremely nutritious, especially for vegans who have no natural source of B12. It's not really any more disgusting than eating old, curdled milk (cheese) or drinking very old barley and hops that have a yeast infection!!

Could we have gotten any more off topic?