View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:33am
Huck Finn

Are you guys kidding about looking in your bag to see if you need any equipment? I hope so. Why would you keep all of your equipment in your bag during the year? I have quite a few uniforms and I know what condition everything I have is in without looking.
Seriously, in most places right now is the only dead time of the year for basketball. I used to be in Southern Nevada and the beginning of the school year was our time to rest before the season.
I would suggest getting a grasp on the things you can control. What I mean is everytime we step on the court there are a million things that could happen that night. We have to be able to handle these situations so I'm of the opinion that we should control the things that we can control ahead of time so we aren't worried about them on the court. These things include:
1. Know the rules. If it is in black and white you can stand on it.
2. Be in shape and warm up good. You can't officiate the plays if you can't get in the right position.
3. Make sure you look good in your uniform. The impression you make when you step out of the locker room is important. If you don't look good people will think you can't work.
4. Get in front of the mirror and go over mechanics. I'm of the opinion that a perfect mechanic in front of the mirror turns into a good mechanic in the heat of a game. A good mechanic in front of the mirror is an OK mechanic in a game. It goes down hill from here. Once again, if you look sharp you look like you know what you are doing.
5. Talk to or get a friend that loves this game.
6. Look at your shoes. Shoes wear out on the inside way before we retire them. If you are attached to a certain shoe then buy more than one pair. During a season our feet are very important!
7. Get ready for some serious fun! I don't think there is a successful official who doesn't have fun doing this. It is a beautiful game.