The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

foul count

NFHS

During a live ball the coach tells me the foul count on his #42 is wrong on the scoreboard. I told him quickly the home book is the official record of fouls. I waited until the next dead ball to check with the table to see if the situation had been corrected, and indeed it had.

Is there ever a time to stop the game because of a book issue dealing with player fouls?
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 09:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

During a live ball the coach tells me the foul count on his #42 is wrong on the scoreboard. I told him quickly the home book is the official record of fouls. I waited until the next dead ball to check with the table to see if the situation had been corrected, and indeed it had.

Is there ever a time to stop the game because of a book issue dealing with player fouls?

You handled it correctly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS

I'd wait until the next stoppage of play, not just until the next dead ball (although they could have happened at the same time).
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 11:38am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm waiting till the next whistle.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that I'd at least wait until the next stoppage of play. If you've got a capable table and its early in the game when you're not too concerned about bonus free throws or players fouling out, I probably make a mental note and wait until the next time out or intermission (and I'd politely tell the coach that, too). If it's later in the half/game when this stuff starts to matter, then I might go clear it up more quickly.

There's another reason to not wait too long. We've all been in that situation where table personnel are either suspect or certifiably dysfunctional. In that case, at the next stoppage of play, I might go to the table to clarify as well as make eye contact with the scorer(s). When everyone in the gym notices that the scorers are responsible for the delay, that's often motivation to prevent future concentration/communication lapses.

Of course, there's always that college freshman at your camp game who spends more time with a cell phone in his hand than a pencil. There's no fixing that....
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 09:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
NFHS

I typically wait until the next stoppage. The only reason I can think of stopping the game is in the case of a disqualified player being reinstated due to a book error. I think that player should be allowed to play immediately upon discovery.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2014, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

There is a lot at play here. This is a situational decision as it could change the a lot about the way that the coach operates and his personal for the situation. A few things to consider. #1 does the coach have a member from his side keeping a book at the score table. If so, they can compare books. Do the officials have direct knowledge of an error made? Is the book correct and the scoreboard error? Time, score, situation, half, and who has the ball.

I may first say, "I will look at it when I can." (don't forget). Could lead the coach with "I can look at it at the next time out." Maybe it is important enough for the coach to call a time out so that I can look at the situation. Either response lets the coach know that you are approachable and that you will look at the situation. I am likely not going to stop a live ball but may look at it on the next dead ball, that could mean after a made basket. Again depends on the game, situation, and table. You might be able to tell the table during a play to check foul counts.