The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 09:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This thread has clearly exceeded its initial purpose.
And?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 08:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This thread has clearly exceeded its initial purpose.
Lively discussion is the purpose of every thread.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 08:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's an officiating forum, not a coach's forum. Why should a coach's response change anything? maybe it's my 31 years being associated with the military, sometimes somebody needs to take charge and not be concerned with the feedback.
To expound on this.

1) There is no correctable error because a merited free throw was shot by the correct shooter.

2) There is no violation by the defense because the officials directed them to clear the paint.

3) There is no specific rule or case play that covers this exact situation.

Therefore, this is where the crew has to come up with a common sense, best for the game solution. Whether or not the coaches agree, argue, threaten to protest, or tell you they don't want to hear about rule 2-3 shouldn't change how the play is adjudicated.

Make a decision and be prepared to tell the coaches this is the final answer and there will be no ongoing debate.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 10:00am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
To expound on this.

Make a decision and be prepared to tell the coaches this is the final answer and there will be no ongoing debate.
Ehhhhhh...unfortunately, Washington does allow a coach to file a protest if a rule has been misapplied or set aside. As I said before, I don't think a protest of this situation would go very far here, but there would probably be one. So there would, again unfortunately, be some ongoing debate.

In the majority of the protests I am aware of, the WIAA has backed the officials. The few I know of that were overturned were pretty easy things that got kicked badly...and it seems most were in football, not basketball.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Ehhhhhh...unfortunately, Washington does allow a coach to file a protest if a rule has been misapplied or set aside. As I said before, I don't think a protest of this situation would go very far here, but there would probably be one. So there would, again unfortunately, be some ongoing debate.

In the majority of the protests I am aware of, the WIAA has backed the officials. The few I know of that were overturned were pretty easy things that got kicked badly...and it seems most were in football, not basketball.
So note the protest and go on. There still hasn't been a misapplied/set aside rule here. An official's mistake, yes, but not a misapplied rule.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 10:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The "debate" I'm referring to is the back-and-forth with the coach at the time of our (crew) ruling. We can't let a coach's reaction be a determinant in our ruling. After the fact crew chief would have to provide a report, after which the chips will have to fall where they may.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Seems to me that if they had actually wiped out the FT and made the kid re-shoot, then THAT would have opened up an actual misapplied rule that could result in an accepted protest.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Seems to me that if they had actually wiped out the FT and made the kid re-shoot, then THAT would have opened up an actual misapplied rule that could result in an accepted protest.
Yep.

Makes for some interesting situations every now and then.