The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

December 7, 1941 ...

"A date which will live in infamy." (President Franklin D. Roosevelt, December 8, 1941)

Remember.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 03:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 04:59pm
Administrator

My parents were members of what Tom Brokaw described as the Greatest Generation. My father spent over 40 months in the SW Pacific Theater in the U.S. Army, my mother's brother was an Naval Aviator in the U.S. Navy, and my father-in-law served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater.

But what also needs to be remembered is that the defeat of the Axis Powers was total effort of the entire populations of not only the United States, but the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Far too many of today's younger generations have no concept of self sacrifice and the concept of society working as one to achieve an objective for the common good.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
My parents were members of what Tom Brokaw described as the Greatest Generation. My father spent over 40 months in the SW Pacific Theater in the U.S. Army, my mother's brother was an Naval Aviator in the U.S. Navy, and my father-in-law served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater.

But what also needs to be remembered is that the defeat of the Axis Powers was total effort of the entire populations of not only the United States, but the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Far too many of today's younger generations have no concept of self sacrifice and the concept of society working as one to achieve an objective for the common good.

MTD, Sr.
That generation was no different than any before or since.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 07:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Everyone Is Entitled To Their Opinion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That generation was no different than any before or since.
The Greatest Generation: Why were they so great? | The Tidewater News
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Need a subscription.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 09:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Need a subscription.

I did not need a subscription to read the article. All did was answer the question about using GMail.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I was really busy today. I thought about it yesterday, not until I slowed down a little about 7:30 did I think about it again.

Seems like 20 years ago, it was a bigger deal. Maybe because of 9/11 it's been diminished, I don't know. It was a turning point in our history, while 9/11 is also, it doesn't seem we have the resolve today that we had in 1941....We are a blessed country to have so many men sacrifice so much for us.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 10:18pm
Stubborn Member

I don't like the idea of pitting one group of servicemen versus another. Every man and woman that serves, or has served, in the military deserves our respect and thanks.

We should use days like today to remember them all.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2014, 11:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't like the idea of pitting one group of servicemen versus another. Every man and woman that serves, or has served, in the military deserves our respect and thanks.

We should use days like today to remember them all.
At the assisted living center where I now live, we don't have a demonstration on Pearl Harbor Day, but we do on Veterans Day. On that day, we gather outside around our flag pole. We raise the flag and then read off a list of residents, residents family members (living or passed on) and also friends who ever served in the military. We then thank them all and the veteran residents here get hugs and hand shakes. We have a few who served in WWII and also in Korea. I also make sure my grandfather (who served in WWII) and my nephew (who has been serving for the past 14 years) are on the list.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
The Soviet Union lost more soldiers and civilians than any other Allied country in WWII (Around 25 million estimated), and fought Hitler on the Eastern front in one of the most brutal wars in history. They were no choir boys by any means, but they played as big of a role or bigger than anyone else in the world.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 07:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Greatest Generation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't like the idea of pitting one group of servicemen versus another.
It's not just about servicemen. It's also about the resolve of civilians in the military industry, and other industries, at home who kept the country going. It's about a generation that saw economic prosperity sandwiched around the Great Depression.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 08, 2014 at 07:25am.