The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:09am
Huck Finn

Am I the only one that wants to know their matchups on a day like today? This seems like the premier night for HS hoops and I'm somewhat of a Junkie so I like to know what I'm getting into before I hit the gym. Plus, we don't do 3-man mechanics for all of the games in the DC area. Fortunately, one of my friends isn't working tonight so he is going to be the 3rd on our crew.
I'm just wondering what other officials do/think about before a game. I'm curious to see if I take it overboard or not. The one thing about it is I do the same thing for the games no matter what level.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Am I the only one that wants to know their matchups on a day like today? This seems like the premier night for HS hoops and I'm somewhat of a Junkie so I like to know what I'm getting into before I hit the gym. Plus, we don't do 3-man mechanics for all of the games in the DC area. Fortunately, one of my friends isn't working tonight so he is going to be the 3rd on our crew.
I'm just wondering what other officials do/think about before a game. I'm curious to see if I take it overboard or not. The one thing about it is I do the same thing for the games no matter what level.
Heck yes, I think about it several times during the day. The day I don't get excited about going to the gym to ref a game is the day I hang it up.

Z
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Heck - I get excited over a frat league intramural game. You had best be excited about a good varsity matchup.

If you don't mind me asking, what schools do you have - I'm in D.C. as well. Also, if you ever want a 3rd official, feel free to give me a call.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:55am
Huck Finn

Mark, tonight I have Eastern at Riverdale Baptist. I don't know how much of a game I will have. From what I've been told Riverdale has the top Sophmore in the country and they are ranked #4 in the area. I don't know anything about Eastern so we will see.
Did you see the game on channel 10 last night? It was DeMatha and Gonzaga from last Saturday's DC Classic. Who do you work for in the area?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I always want to know ahead of time what to expect. And I start mental preparations as soon as I wake up -- if I didn't already start the night before. As I'm arranging babysitting, dinner preparations, rides and other necessities for kids' evening activities, laundry, and so on, I'm thinking about names, faces, anythying I've read in the paper about the schools, situations that have been on the board recently and so on. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty much good for nothing else on game days! (No comments allowed from the peanut-s gallery!)
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I loved GAME DAY AS A PLAYER AND NOW AS AN OFFICIAL, I Look forward too and think about it as soon as i get up in the morning as i get my bag ready to go to work! Can't wait till work is over and i'm on the way to the game... Tonight especially, another big seeded district game, should be a packed house....and i'll definitely tell my partner to watch out for the coach from this team that likes to be on the floor sometimes....hahaha
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Mark, tonight I have Eastern at Riverdale Baptist. I don't know how much of a game I will have. From what I've been told Riverdale has the top Sophmore in the country and they are ranked #4 in the area. I don't know anything about Eastern so we will see.
Did you see the game on channel 10 last night? It was DeMatha and Gonzaga from last Saturday's DC Classic. Who do you work for in the area?
I'm actually a college student - work intramural ball for my school's rec sports program.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

On Friday's I tend to think about what kind of cold beverage I'll be enjoying after my games.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
I'm actually a college student
[/B][/QUOTE]And you've been one for the last 14 years too.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with Z...the day this officiating stuff is no longer fun is the day my family actually gets to see me on winter week-ends.

Man, today is great! I am part of a three whistle crew that has two undefeated 4A schools going at it tonight. (Richland vs. Pasco) It will be a packed house and the local radio station is broadcasting it.

The best part of the day will probably be when I get to the game and tell one of my fellow officials that JR said he had big balls.

...maybe we better let "big balls" be R tonight...

Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 01:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

The best part of the day will probably be when I get to the game and tell one of my fellow officials that JR said he had big balls.

Um, actually I said that he just had balls. Don't have to be big.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm actually a college student
[/B]
And you've been one for the last 14 years too. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have??

If this is a joke, it's so far over my head that it's in a lower earth orbit . . .