The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Re-Shooting FTs?

Shooter fouled right before buzzer sounds to end 2nd qtr.

Band starts playing since they think it is half.

While band is playing the officials have shooter shoot both FTs. Both are missed.

Coach says that the band should not have been playing. Officials agree and have her shoot BOTH again. Makes both. Now other coach says it was too late to correct it.

Once the officials let the shots be taken while the band was playing did they then handle it correctly? Does not fall under CE, correct?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Shooter fouled right before buzzer sounds to end 2nd qtr.

Band starts playing since they think it is half.

While band is playing the officials have shooter shoot both FTs. Both are missed.

Coach says that the band should not have been playing. Officials agree and have her shoot BOTH again. Makes both. Now other coach says it was too late to correct it.

Once the officials let the shots be taken while the band was playing did they then handle it correctly? Does not fall under CE, correct?
What a clusterf**k. How in the world did the officials allow the band to play while the initial free throws are shot? And then they decide to let her shoot them again? Yikes. There's no "correction" for the officials allowing the band to play - that's on them. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What a clusterf**k. How in the world did the officials allow the band to play while the initial free throws are shot? And then they decide to let her shoot them again? Yikes. There's no "correction" for the officials allowing the band to play - that's on them. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Yep, and now they have until the first dead ball of the third quarter to take away those points.

Ouch.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yep, and now they have until the first dead ball of the third quarter to take away those points.

Ouch.
Interesting point. I guess if you consider the extra free throws as "unmerited", then you can use the CE rule. That phone call with the assignor would be fun after the game...
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

On a side note, I had my first ever CE situation last weekend and the three of us bungled it. Luckily my assignor was understanding, but it didn't feel good at all.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a side note, I had my first ever CE situation last weekend and the three of us bungled it. Luckily my assignor was understanding, but it didn't feel good at all.
Care to share?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Care to share?
Second half - score is Red 43 - White 38. Common foul on Red. Calling official reports as my other partner and I look up at the scoreboard and see 6 fouls on Red so we line up for bonus and the calling official (also the R) turns toward us holding up his 1 and 1 signal. Kid makes both free throws. Red inbounds and scores 2 points. White inbounds and commits a violation in their frontcourt. Table signals for the R to come over. Then the three of us have a conference. We look up at the scoreboard and it still says Red has 6 fouls. Uh oh. Evidently the count on the board was wrong earlier (should have shown 5 instead of 6) when we shot the bonus. Long story short, we assume this is the first dead ball since the free throws (this was the mistake). The focus becomes which points we remove from the board - the big question we had was: do we take Red's points off as well? The resolution we came to was to take the two free throws for White off the board and let Red's basket stay. Score was Red 45 - White 38 at that point. And we played on at POI, which was Red's ball OOB.

What we should have done was: nothing. It was too late. The basket by Red made the ball dead and that ended the window we had to correct the error. Lesson learned. Red won the game by about 10 - but half those points were free throws from fouls at the end of the game. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the outcome, but who knows? And oddly enough, it was the Red coach who brought it to the attention of my assignor.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And oddly enough, it was the Red coach who brought it to the attention of my assignor.
Yes, that is odd that the coach beat you (as a crew) to it.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, that is odd that the coach beat you (as a crew) to it.
Well we would have never (probably) thought to bring it up because we thought we had it right. We talked about it after the game and we were being evaluated as well, and the evaluator didn't realize we effed it up, either. His only comment was how long it took us to figure out what we should do.

It's no excuse - we all got it wrong and it feels crappy. But I definitely learned from it.