View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Care to share?
Second half - score is Red 43 - White 38. Common foul on Red. Calling official reports as my other partner and I look up at the scoreboard and see 6 fouls on Red so we line up for bonus and the calling official (also the R) turns toward us holding up his 1 and 1 signal. Kid makes both free throws. Red inbounds and scores 2 points. White inbounds and commits a violation in their frontcourt. Table signals for the R to come over. Then the three of us have a conference. We look up at the scoreboard and it still says Red has 6 fouls. Uh oh. Evidently the count on the board was wrong earlier (should have shown 5 instead of 6) when we shot the bonus. Long story short, we assume this is the first dead ball since the free throws (this was the mistake). The focus becomes which points we remove from the board - the big question we had was: do we take Red's points off as well? The resolution we came to was to take the two free throws for White off the board and let Red's basket stay. Score was Red 45 - White 38 at that point. And we played on at POI, which was Red's ball OOB.

What we should have done was: nothing. It was too late. The basket by Red made the ball dead and that ended the window we had to correct the error. Lesson learned. Red won the game by about 10 - but half those points were free throws from fouls at the end of the game. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the outcome, but who knows? And oddly enough, it was the Red coach who brought it to the attention of my assignor.