The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   LA Salle vs Vanderbilt Official Elbowed In Head off Jump (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98730-la-salle-vs-vanderbilt-official-elbowed-head-off-jump-video.html)

Sharpshooternes Sat Nov 29, 2014 07:44pm

LA Salle vs Vanderbilt Official Elbowed In Head off Jump (Video)

One of the officials took an elbow to the face and had to go to the hospital sometime in the first 5 minutes of play. I tuned in just after it happened. Did an u one see what happened?

InsideTheStripe Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:19pm

Don't have video to embed, but you can see it here:

Basketball Referee Collapses After Tossing Opening Tip, Carted Off

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/NgiuM2TbnDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rich Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:45pm

Elbowed on the opening jump. Scary. Knocked out with his eyes open.

Jump balls are stupid.

BayStateRef Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:57pm

Interesting to watch the crew have to use 2-person mechanics. They are rotating a lot from the lead...with the trail remaining ball-side. A lot of movement from the trail and not nearly as deep into the frontcourt as usual.

Rich Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:07pm

I wish more people would see this. Going ballside is the right way to work 2-person and very few that I see actually do it.

Stat-Man Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 945016)
I wish more people would see this. Going ballside is the right way to work 2-person and very few that I see actually do it.

I had the chance to use this mechanic in the Fall when all the players from both teams were on the trail's side of the court and my PCA was nearly empty. I felt like I was more of a help to my partner in that position. Now, I look to do it, if/when I can.

maroonx Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:35pm

didnt look like he got hit hard.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 945014)
Elbowed on the opening jump. Scary. Knocked out with his eyes open.

Jump balls are stupid.

This is a good reason for the AP arrow which MTD and BillyMac dislike so much.

Rich Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 945018)
didnt look like he got hit hard.

No. The bruises tell quite a story, though.

Adam Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945020)

I believe that are on opposite sides. MTD wants to jump every time, Billy wants to start the game with a coin toss.

johnny d Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30pm

I vote for a rugby scrum. Just drop the ball and get the hell out of the way.

AremRed Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 945023)
I vote for a rugby scrum. Just drop the ball and get the hell out of the way.

Have you seen how rugby players do sideline throw-ins? I think that might be safer than a scrum. :D

Sharpshooternes Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:40pm

Wow. Didn't look like he got hit that hard. From now on, I am having the U's toss if I am the R.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945020)

I consider it an "Abomination Upon the Game". Billy just tells me to keep my mouth shut.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I was accidently kicked in the stomach by a 7'-00" center in a men's jr. college game during the opening tip. Nothing serious though.

Rob1968 Sun Nov 30, 2014 01:11am

Years ago, local college Womens' game, two man crew, I caught a flailing hand/fingernail of one of the jumpers, across my forehead. You know how a facial scratch can bleed . . . it took a couple of minutes to follow the blood drops and clean them up, and to get me a bandage on my forehead. What a way to start a game!
I've been hit in the groin by a jumper's foot on a couple of occasions . . . it's a bit difficult to concentrate until everything settles down . . .