The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   LA Salle vs Vanderbilt Official Elbowed In Head off Jump (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98730-la-salle-vs-vanderbilt-official-elbowed-head-off-jump-video.html)

BillyMac Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:45am

Jump Balls ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 945020)
This is a good reason for the AP arrow which MTD and BillyMac dislike so much.

You're mixing me up with the other old guy. I'm the one with lots of hair, and I'm the one who hates jump balls. Start the game with a coin toss, or start the game with the visitors getting the ball, and use the arrow from that point on.

BillyMac Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:48am

Ball Side ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 945016)
I wish more people would see this. Going ballside is the right way to work 2-person and very few that I see actually do it.

Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, as the lead, we are encouraged to go ball side when there is a ball side active post, and the ball is settled on the wing.

justacoach Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:40pm

Don't be surprised if we see the implementation of a concussion protocol for officials. First question:What was the number of the truck that hit you?.

Glad Rick Crawford is OK.

Multiple Sports Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:46pm

Billy Mac there you go again posting back to back just to pad your stats....You could have just made one post......

Looking forward to you proposing a question and answering it yourself...

SAK Sun Nov 30, 2014 01:49pm

Video

College basketball referee gets knocked out by an elbow on the opening tip | Ballislife.com

KJUmp Sun Nov 30, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef (Post 945015)
Interesting to watch the crew have to use 2-person mechanics. They are rotating a lot from the lead...with the trail remaining ball-side. A lot of movement from the trail and not nearly as deep into the frontcourt as usual.

Joe DeRossa and Jose Carrion were the other two officials on the crew.

KJUmp Sun Nov 30, 2014 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 945018)
didnt look like he got hit hard.

?????
The Vanderbilt player jumping center that came down and across on him with the elbow was 6'10" 248 lbs.

BryanV21 Sun Nov 30, 2014 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonx (Post 945018)
didnt look like he got hit hard.

Oftentimes a well-placed punch/kick/elbow/etc is more damaging than a hard one.

AremRed Sun Nov 30, 2014 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 945063)
Joe DeRossa and Jose Carrion were the other two officials on the crew.

Huh, if DeRosa was on the crew I wonder why he wasn't the R.

SNIPERBBB Sun Nov 30, 2014 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 945028)
Wow. Didn't look like he got hit that hard. From now on, I am having the U's toss if I am the R.

Doesnt take much to get a concussion. Last year we had a game where a visiting player B1 took and easy step backwards and the back of his head hit his teammate's, B2, forehead. B2 crumpled and was removed from the game for concussion symptoms.

JRutledge Sun Nov 30, 2014 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 945093)
Huh, if DeRosa was on the crew I wonder why he wasn't the R.

He might have been the Referee. He did not have to be the one that tossed the ball.

Peace

AremRed Sun Nov 30, 2014 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 945097)
He might have been the Referee. He did not have to be the one that tossed the ball.

Proof that designating a tosser works! DeRosa dodged a bullet on that one...

Kansas Ref Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:22pm

If given a choice, I rarely ever do the toss. It is one of the most accident prone areas for a Ref.
It is not that difficult to get concussed, some sections of your head/cranium are softer than others. I saw a partners eyeglasses get broken on face by errant ly tapped jump all.

BillyMac Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:37pm

Although I Am A George Clooney Doppelgänger ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 945050)
Billy Mac there you go again posting back to back just to pad your stats....You could have just made one post ... Looking forward to you proposing a question and answering it yourself...

How do you think that I became an esteemed member? It wasn't because of my good looks.

BillyMac Mon Dec 01, 2014 06:39pm

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 945014)
Jump balls are stupid.

Bingo.