The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

backcourt or not

A1 in-bounding in frontcourt near halfcourt. A2, in the frontcourt, has inbounded pass touch off his fingertips and go into backcourt where he is the first to gain possession.
Backcourt violation or not?

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
A1 in-bounding in frontcourt near halfcourt. A2, in the frontcourt, has inbounded pass touch off his fingertips and go into backcourt where he is the first to gain possession.

Thanks
Not a violation. has to be team control IN the front court. The ball touching the players fingers as you describe is not control. When ball goes to backcourt A2 can pick it up. Thx
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:51am
AremRed

Quote:

Thanks
Not a violation due to no team control in frontcourt.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:

Thanks
Straight off the NFHS test.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Thank you,
I do not have the nfhs test. Is there a case play I can read, I can't find one.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not a violation due to no team control in frontcourt.
Close, but not specifically correct.
There is TC under NFHS rules during a throw-in. So when A2 touches the ball, it now has frontcourt status and there is TC by team A.

The real reason that this is not a violation is that certain violations can only occur after PLAYER control is established INBOUNDS. A backcourt violation is one of those. 3-second and 10-second violations are two others.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you,
I do not have the nfhs test. Is there a case play I can read, I can't find one.
Similar play in Casebook 4.12.2 SITUATION B of the PLAYER/TEAM CONTROL section.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There is TC under NFHS rules during a throw-in. So when A2 touches the ball, it now has frontcourt status and there is TC by team A.

The real reason that this is not a violation is that certain violations can only occur after PLAYER control is established INBOUNDS. A backcourt violation is one of those. 3-second and 10-second violations are two others.
Going a bit off topic with what I gather is an easy question I just didn't know . . . 12 seconds left in game with clock stopped, A inbounding in backcourt. A1 throws a bad pass to A2, who defelcts ball and chases it, no one on team B touches the ball, but it takes three seconds for a player on A to grab the ball. So, there would be no 10 second violation, even though they ate up the final 12 seconds run off the clock all in the back court?
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Going a bit off topic with what I gather is an easy question I just didn't know . . . 12 seconds left in game with clock stopped, A inbounding in backcourt. A1 throws a bad pass to A2, who defelcts ball and chases it, no one on team B touches the ball, but it takes three seconds for a player on A to grab the ball. So, there would be no 10 second violation, even though they ate up the final 12 seconds run off the clock all in the back court?
In HS yes, in NCAA no.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

There is team control during a throwin however, the throw in ended when the ball was touched by A2. The rule says however that team control continues until the ball is secured. the rule was created ONLY to avoid shooting free throws when the throw in team fouls (other than intentional/flagrant) before the ball is secured after a throw in.

I recommend you keep team control during throwin etc completely separate from team control IN bounds. Just remember, after you hand the ball to the thrower in, any foul, other than intentional or flagrant, committed by the throw in team before the ball is secured will result in ball out of bounds, no free throws.
once the ball is secured, you have player and team control and now it is time to think about other violations as mentioned by Nevada. this is nfhs.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Nov 26, 2014 at 02:30pm.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
There is team control during a throwin however, the throw in ended when the ball was touched by A2. The rule says however that team control continues until the ball is secured.
BC and I are basically saying the same thing. I should have written that TC begins once the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower instead of saying there is TC during a throw-in. That would have made it clear that while an inbounds touch or deflection ends the throw-in, it doesn't end TC.

The rest of what I wrote is from the NFHS POE #4 on page 70 of this season's rules book. The NFHS tells us that the guiding principle is that until PC is obtained inbounds certain violations aren't applicable and the TC status only matters for fouls.