The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Is there even a debate (PC during throw-in)?

We all know what the rule says: "A player is in control of the ball when (s)he is holding or dribbling a live ball." This would seem to imply that there is PC during a throw-in. Referee released its basketball quiz today (http://www.referee.com/downloads/qui...iz_2014-15.pdf) and agrees that there is indeed PC during a throw-in (see question #10).

However, I am frustrated because my state (or at least the 65+ year-old that does all the rules presentations) is insistent that there is no player control during a throw-in. We were all told that at the state rules clinic by the presenter. And then we took the statewide exam on Saturday and of course this question was on there, much to my chagrin...

"There is no player control during a throw-in." (True or False)

Of course, I answered "true" based on what the state insists rather than what the rulebook says.

Thoughts?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2014, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
(or at least the 65+ year-old

Thoughts?
My thought is that the interpreters age has nothing to do with the issue.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 08:04am
AremRed

Quote:
We all know what the rule says: "A player is in control of the ball when (s)he is holding or dribbling a live ball." This would seem to imply that there is PC during a throw-in. Referee released its basketball quiz today (http://www.referee.com/downloads/qui...iz_2014-15.pdf) and agrees that there is indeed PC during a throw-in (see question #10).

However, I am frustrated because my state (or at least the 65+ year-old that does all the rules presentations) is insistent that there is no player control during a throw-in. We were all told that at the state rules clinic by the presenter. And then we took the statewide exam on Saturday and of course this question was on there, much to my chagrin...

"There is no player control during a throw-in." (True or False)

Of course, I answered "true" based on what the state insists rather than what the rulebook says.

Thoughts?
Huh? According to that quiz there is no player control during a throw-in because the correct answer is "None of the above".
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's just semantics.

There is PC at the beginning of (most) throw-ins (excepting when the ball is placed on the floor). But, PC ends when the ball is released, even though the throw-in continues.

It would be correct to say that there is no PC THROUGHOUT a throw-in, and sometimes "during" is used as a synonym for "throughout."
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

2009-10 Rules Book states: 4-12-1 . . . A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. (italics added)
The "inbounds" wording was removed, to bring the statement in line with the current "team control during a throw-in" ruling.
Thus, the current understanding would cause me to answer that there is player control during a throw-in.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Huh? According to that quiz there is no player control during a throw-in because the correct answer is "None of the above".
Look again at the answer key for question #10. The answer key says the correct answer is "d."
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS POE:

" Team Control Status During Throw in; Team Control Status Inbounds - Since a 2011-12 rule change, team control exists during a throw in when the thrower in has the ball at her/his disposal. The change was made ONLY to eliminate the penalty of administering free throw(s) when a teammate of the thrower in commits a common foul during the throw in. The change made the penalty consistent with the penalty for other team control fouls. The penalty now is the awarding of a throw in to the opposing team at the spot out-of-bounds nearest to where the foul occurred. NOTE: Team control during a throw in is not intended to be equated to player control status inbounds which creates team control status inbounds. During the throw in 10-seconds 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds."
Old Wed Nov 19, 2014, 11:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
NFHS POE:

" Team Control Status During Throw in; Team Control Status Inbounds - Since a 2011-12 rule change, team control exists during a throw in when the thrower in has the ball at her/his disposal. The change was made ONLY to eliminate the penalty of administering free throw(s) when a teammate of the thrower in commits a common foul during the throw in. The change made the penalty consistent with the penalty for other team control fouls. The penalty now is the awarding of a throw in to the opposing team at the spot out-of-bounds nearest to where the foul occurred. NOTE: Team control during a throw in is not intended to be equated to player control status inbounds which creates team control status inbounds. During the throw in 10-seconds 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds."
Which says nothing about the change to player control, which wasn't even really required by the TC change.

Personally, the fact that they removed the reference tells me they intended for PC to be included.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Which says nothing about the change to player control, which wasn't even really required by the TC change.

Personally, the fact that they removed the reference tells me they intended for PC to be included.
South Carolina does not agree.

Now the reality is, if the thrower-in commits a common foul, what type of foul you call only differs in whether you punch or go hand behind the head. The end result is still the same.

However, I'm big on semantics and terminology, so that's why I'm bothered by it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2014, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
South Carolina does not agree.

Now the reality is, if the thrower-in commits a common foul, what type of foul you call only differs in whether you punch or go hand behind the head. The end result is still the same.

However, I'm big on semantics and terminology, so that's why I'm bothered by it.
I disagree with SC

That said, you're right, there is zero practical impact of this distinction.