The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
i would rather wear jackets than not wear jackets. they look sharp and not every place is warm as stated.

Peace
+1
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

One board I work with requires them for varsity only, optional at JV. I had a JV girls game last year at a very small school and my partner flipped out on me because I didn't have a jacket. He said he was a varsity official and if I wanted to be one too, I should dress the part.

I wonder if I should call the foul from 50' away like he did too? I'm lead A33 is off ball right in front me and puts a hand on B1, no big deal. Partner calls A33 for a foul. A23 was just in front of him when he made the call. He reports and the scorer says you mean 2-3 correct? He says no, 3-3, I had it all the way.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
One board I work with requires them for varsity only, optional at JV. I had a JV girls game last year at a very small school and my partner flipped out on me because I didn't have a jacket. He said he was a varsity official and if I wanted to be one too, I should dress the part.

I wonder if I should call the foul from 50' away like he did too? I'm lead A33 is off ball right in front me and puts a hand on B1, no big deal. Partner calls A33 for a foul. A23 was just in front of him when he made the call. He reports and the scorer says you mean 2-3 correct? He says no, 3-3, I had it all the way.
The second paragraph isn't really relevant. Get a jacket.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I never put mine on at halftime.

Matter of fact, I take mine off and fold it inside out before giving it to the table personnel to keep dirt off of it. Mine gets washed rarely. I never wear mine after I've worked, so there's no sweat put in it.
*OK, so you are telling us that the score table folks who are faculty/staff actually serve as your personal "coat/cloak check" minders--in much the same way the fine ladies do for me when I go to ruth chris steakhouse in the winter when I give them my leather trenchcoat prior to seated dining?
Wow!

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Fri Nov 14, 2014 at 02:18pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I agree, jackets have been de riguer, and I've never bothered to ask why it is necessary. I prefer to wear mine at the proper times (pregame, half time, post game), I like the quasi-anonymity it provides---tho everyone knows I am the ref tho ( I mean what else would that guy standing at halfcourt talking with another guy dressed the same way be doing aside from reffing the game? lol). I do like the warmth it provides during halftime and the cover it provides quick juant to my car after the game tho.
Don't wear part of your uniform to the car. Put it away and put your regular clothes back on.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The second paragraph isn't really relevant. Get a jacket.
Agreed

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 02:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
*OK, so you are telling us that the score table folks who are faculty/staff actually serve as your personal "coat/cloak check" minders--in much the same way the fine ladies do for me when I go to ruth chris steakhouse in the winter when I give them my leather trenchcoat prior to seated dining?
Wow!
Where the hell do you think our jackets go?

I fold mine and hand it to the person at the table that takes it and either puts it on an empty spot on the table or somewhere under/behind the table.

A few schools have someone who take our jackets to the locker room for us, but most of them give them to us as we're heading back at halftime.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 03:00pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I like jackets, they keep me comfortable in drafty gyms and look sharp. I like being undercover a bit until the tip -- I think just wearing stripes can be distracting during pregame warmups.
Really, two/three guys standing on the sideline wearing matching jackets, watching the players warm up is staying undercover?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

I always scratch my head at the whole "invisibility" meme.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where the hell do you think our jackets go?

I fold mine and hand it to the person at the table that takes it and either puts it on an empty spot on the table or somewhere under/behind the table.

A few schools have someone who take our jackets to the locker room for us, but most of them give them to us as we're heading back at halftime.
*Well, based on what you're saying, I must say that I am surprised by the cordiality extended to you by those personnel in that they would care for your clothes like a servant. But hey don't take it the wrong way OK, I should be enamored by such!
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Really, two/three guys standing on the sideline wearing matching jackets, watching the players warm up is staying undercover?
Heheh
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I always scratch my head at the whole "invisibility" meme.
"Woah! Those three guys in black jackets just took off their costumes. THEY'RE ACTUALLY THE REFS!"
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
"Woah! Those three guys in black jackets just took off their costumes. THEY'RE ACTUALLY THE REFS!"
*too funny, I will rem'ber this and laugh to myself about these quotes when I'm standing out at center court pre-game...you guys are too funny!
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 05:03pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
*Well, based on what you're saying, I must say that I am surprised by the cordiality extended to you by those personnel in that they would care for your clothes like a servant. But hey don't take it the wrong way OK, I should be enamored by such!
Every school I go to will take our jackets and put them on the scorers table or in a spot behind the table. No exaggeration, every school.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. Every school I've been to does the same thing. If they don't offer you just hand the jackets to them and they get the hint.