The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Ok, I've seen a lot of them that look really nice!! What all do you have on your pre-game jacket?

On mine, I have my name, the IHSA logo, and an American Flag on the back. I also have a small pink ribbon for breast cancer on the front of my jacket for my mother who has beat it. I wear it because she has supported me with my officiating since I started.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Ok, I've seen a lot of them that look really nice!! What all do you have on your pre-game jacket?

On mine, I have my name, the IHSA logo, and an American Flag on the back. I also have a small pink ribbon for breast cancer on the front of my jacket for my mother who has beat it. I wear it because she has supported me with my officiating since I started.
A little lint, some dried contact solution, a sticky spot of some carbonated beverage, a few stray dog hairs, ...

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
My association patch over my heart...that's it. This jacket is new this year. My last one included my name opposite my association patch.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
My assoication patch..
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Uniform should not be an individual statement.

An American Flag on the back... and that is all. Everyone in our association put flags on our jackets following 9/11/01.

Nothing else really fits within the requirements unless it is an association patch that everyone is wearing.

NFHS Mechanics Manual, paragraph 23. Uniform b. "Jacket - Navy blue or black, all crew the same, if worn. Recommended for wear prior to game."

Individuals with pink ribbons, names, college patches etc. don't quite meet the requirements of "all crew the same."
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Just my association patch.

Z
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

In NC

NCHSAA patch on that cheapass black CCA Sahara jacket.

I bet that jacket doesn't cost $10 to manufacture.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Interesting, so it took 9/11 to put a flag on your jacket? Anyways, well I hope everyone buys about 5 different jackets so everyone will match. I guess I won't match 100%...oh well.

[Edited by tjones1 on Jan 17th, 2005 at 02:57 PM]
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

My association patch on the left chest. It's a really cheaply made jacket that they charge a fortune for.

I've brought up the idea a few times about putting a Canadian flag patch on our uniforms, but no one really seems to want to do that.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree with you and disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
An American Flag on the back... and that is all. Everyone in our association put flags on our jackets following 9/11/01.

Nothing else really fits within the requirements unless it is an association patch that everyone is wearing.

NFHS Mechanics Manual, paragraph 23. Uniform b. "Jacket - Navy blue or black, all crew the same, if worn. Recommended for wear prior to game."

Individuals with pink ribbons, names, college patches etc. don't quite meet the requirements of "all crew the same."
The American Flag should be an option. Not everyone feels the need to put a flag on to prove some patriotism.

I have no problem with people putting a name on their jacket if it does not bother them. Unless there are some association rules, I think this is a non-issue.

I do agree that you should not put ribbons or other issue insignias for issues like Breast Cancer or AIDS as an example. I really do not feel that our jacket should stand for our political or social issues. Our role is to work a game, not tell the world about our political and social feelings. The same reason I do not wear a flag on my jacket or jersey. I do not need to tell everyone I am in America, they already know that.

I disagree that all the crew should be exactly the same. All jackets are not the same. Everyone is not a member of the same associations. Now in Illinois we can purchase little pins with an IHSA Cartoon that signifies sportsmanship ("Attitude") and that is OK from my point of view to wear that on the jacket. Some guys wear them, others do not. Many officials do not belong to the same official's associations, so I cannot tell other officials not to wear their association patches, nor should they not be allowed to wear them. As long as these things do not violate the policies of the state, I see no issue here.

Peace

Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:33pm
M.A.S.H.

So be it, pin is coming off, I actually never wore it--just got it in the mail two days ago. I would like to know though JRut where you can get the Attitude pin at?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

The question is "How much more black could my pregame jacket be?"

And the answer is "None. None more black."

There's nothing on mine.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I just have the association patch but I've seen guys with different pins.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
So be it, pin is coming off, I actually never wore it--just got it in the mail two days ago. I would like to know though JRut where you can get the Attitude pin at?
You can order them through the IHSA office. I was just there yesterday and saw many "Attitude" items. They are an IHSA copyrighted item. I do not know anyone that sells them.

Peace