The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2014, 09:04pm
This IS My Social Life

"Long Jump" on a Throw In?

Thrower-inner A1 backs up and, running toward the endline, jumps across the endline over the court and releases a throw-in pass prior to landing on the floor inbounds.

On a designated spot throw-in the illegality of this "long jumper" seems clear because of 7-6-3 ("...shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass") and 4-42-6 NOTE ("...must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released). The throw-in spot exists only in out of bounds area, according to 4-42-2 ("...a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds").

QUESTION: What rulebook citation, if any, exists that prohibits "long jumper" A1 from doing this on a throw-in after a made or awarded basket, when the designated throw-in spot is not relevant?

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Oct 12, 2014 at 09:10pm.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

No violation. He was OOB when he released the ball. (9-2-10 Note)

The thrower has no depth limitation on a throw-in. As long as he stays within the width of designated spot, your scenario is not illegal.

Last edited by bballref3966; Sun Oct 12, 2014 at 09:34pm.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2014, 09:51pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

The thrower has no depth limitation on a throw-in. As long as he stays within the width of designated spot, your scenario is not illegal.
I appreciate your reference to 9-2-10 Note. That seems to be a relevant citation.
However, your second point is not applicable because in the question the designated spot does not prevail--it's after a made or awarded basket when there is not designated throw-in spot.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

You're right. My take would be as long as he's along the end line, nothing illegal.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 06:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Says ...

Quote:
No violation. He was OOB when he released the ball.
You are where you were until you get where you're going.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 10:26am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I appreciate your reference to 9-2-10 Note. That seems to be a relevant citation.
However, your second point is not applicable because in the question the designated spot does not prevail--it's after a made or awarded basket when there is not designated throw-in spot.
The post did point out that you were wrong in your assumption that it was illegal on a designated spot throw-in.

As for a throw-in after a made basket, there is no restriction on the throw-in breaking the plane on a throw-in. So it doesn't matter whether ir is a spot throw-in or after a made basket. As long as they release the throw before they touch inbounds.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 11:30am
Stubborn Member

I think our answer is in the note at the end of Rule 9.2.10...

"The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area or a player inbounds before the ball is released on the throw-in pass."

Since said thrower last touched the spot-throw area, therefore is technically still there, then the play is legal.

However, if the thrower touches a player defending the throw-in before releasing the ball, it's illegal.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 01:49pm
This IS My Social Life

This Still Seems to be a Puzzler, Methinks

I'm happy to call the long-jumper "legal" on a designated spot throw-in, except for this one requirement, expressed in two places, that sticks in my mind:
"The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released" (4-42-6 NOTE). And, "The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass" (7-6-3 and 9-2-1). The phrase "You are where you were 'til you get where you're going" seems not to apply when the above requirement restricts it, with the designated spot, of course, not extending past the boundary line.
The NOTE after 9-2-10 ("The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she doesn not touch the inbounds area..." doesn't, I'm thinking, dismiss the above requirement, either.
Agree?

Important to me cuz "Throw-Ins" is the topic of our next pre-season rules meeting.

Thanx for your responses, the ones that dwell on what's in the book.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 02:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I'm happy to call the long-jumper "legal" on a designated spot throw-in, except for this one requirement, expressed in two places, that sticks in my mind:
"The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released" (4-42-6 NOTE). And, "The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass" (7-6-3 and 9-2-1). The phrase "You are where you were 'til you get where you're going" seems not to apply when the above requirement restricts it, with the designated spot, of course, not extending past the boundary line.
The NOTE after 9-2-10 ("The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she doesn not touch the inbounds area..." doesn't, I'm thinking, dismiss the above requirement, either.
Agree?

Important to me cuz "Throw-Ins" is the topic of our next pre-season rules meeting.

Does the definition of the designated spot say that the thrower can not break the plane? Don't have my books with me, but if I remember correctly, the designated spot "definition" has no depth limitations - simply width limitations.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 03:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Does the definition of the designated spot say that the thrower can not break the plane? Don't have my books with me, but if I remember correctly, the designated spot "definition" has no depth limitations - simply width limitations.
The spot is out of bounds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 04:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Thrower-inner A1 backs up and, running toward the endline, jumps across the endline over the court and releases a throw-in pass prior to landing on the floor inbounds.

On a designated spot throw-in the illegality of this "long jumper" seems clear because of 7-6-3 ("...shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass") and 4-42-6 NOTE ("...must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released). The throw-in spot exists only in out of bounds area, according to 4-42-2 ("...a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds").

QUESTION: What rulebook citation, if any, exists that prohibits "long jumper" A1 from doing this on a throw-in after a made or awarded basket, when the designated throw-in spot is not relevant?
Quote:

Quote:
The post did point out that you were wrong in your assumption that it was illegal on a designated spot throw-in.

As for a throw-in after a made basket, there is no restriction on the throw-in breaking the plane on a throw-in. So it doesn't matter whether ir is a spot throw-in or after a made basket. As long as they release the throw before they touch inbounds.
Quote:
Agree?

The correct RULING for the situation in the OP is that it is a Throw-in Violation. Why? The governing rules citations are NFHS R4-S42-A6 Note and R7-S6-A3. NFHS R4-S42-A2 and R9-S2-A10 are not relevant to this play. Furthermore, it would be a Throw-in Violation regardless whether it was a Designated Spot Throw-in or a Throw-in anywhere along the End Line after a score.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe the above phrase is only saying that, while the width is specifically 3', there is no specific number of feet away from the boundary where the spot is limited. But, the spot IS limited in that directly, just not by a number of feet. It is limited by a wall/seats/bleachers/etc.

I believe the spot is defined to be OOB.

Thus, a player jumping over the inbounds area will have left the spot if neither foot is still over the OOB spot.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 14, 2014 at 11:14am.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 05:34pm
This IS My Social Life

To Coin a Phrase for Your 2 Cents Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The correct RULING for the situation in the OP is that it is a Throw-in Violation. Why? The governing rules citations are NFHS R4-S42-A6 Note and R7-S6-A3. NFHS R4-S42-A2 and R9-S2-A10 are not relevant to this play. Furthermore, it would be a Throw-in Violation regardless whether it was a Designated Spot Throw-in or a Throw-in anywhere along the End Line after a score. MTD, Sr.
By your assessment of relevant rules, would you deem it correct to say that on a throw-in the thrower must "have something out and nothing in", to use a phrase? I'd like to be able to say that. But I'm not quite there yet.......
Old Mon Oct 13, 2014, 07:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
By your assessment of relevant rules, would you deem it correct to say that on a throw-in the thrower must "have something out and nothing in", to use a phrase? I'd like to be able to say that. But I'm not quite there yet.......
Just quote the rule. Something on or over the spot and the spot is out of bounds.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 06:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Throwin Plane ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... a player jumping over the inbounds area will have left the spot of neither foot is still over the OOB spot.
Sounds good, but I'm having some trouble (can't really put my finger on it, it's just a bad feeling) giving my full agreement.

In the words of the great, esteemed Forum member, Freddy ...

Quote:
But I'm not quite there yet.......
I guess that I need a little push.

This is a very interesting thread. I hope that we eventually get a definitive answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 14, 2014 at 06:11am.